The Progressive Conservative Party of Canada is one of five main Canadian Political Parties, the product of a Progressive and Conservative party merger. The Conservatives originally came into power at Confederation with Canada's first prime minister, Sir John A. Macdonald, in 1867. The party would continue to dominate most of the nineteenth century, until a combination of their pro-British policy and the execution of Louis Riel catapulted the Liberals into the forefront.

In 1942, the parties merged and renamed themselves the Progressive Conservatives, but this had little effect on the Liberal hold. From 1957 to 1963, the party came into power thanks to their charistmatic leader, John Diefenbaker, who utilized new support in the alienated west. The Liberals soon replaced him though, until Joe Clark had a brief stint as prime minister in 1979.

From 1986 to 1993, Brian Mulroney led a Progressive Conservative government that attempted several major economic and constitutional reforms, including the introduction of GST, a free-trade treaty with the United States, and the Meech Lake Accord. Mulroney's reforms were largely unpopular and led to his 1993 resignation. He was succeeded by Kim Campbell, the Progressive Conservative's first female leader and Canada's first female prime minister. In 2000, the party became the smallest of the five represented parties in Parliament, winning only 12 seats.


The Leaders of the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.