The Fraternitas Sacerdotalis Sancti Petri or Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter, is a specialized institute of Roman Catholic priests whose mission is the preservation of the Latin Tridentine liturgy according to the liturgical books of 1962, the last edition published for this rite. They have recieved special license (indult) from Rome to celebrate the Eucharist, wed, bury, heal, and baptize exclusively in the ancient format. Their primary function is in running parishes that cater to the exclusive needs of Catholics still attached to the older ways.

Founded in 1988, the FSSP grew from a division within the Priestly Fraternity of St. Pius X (SSPX). The SSPX, under the leadership of renegade French archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, established seminaries without Vatican approval. Preaching that the Novus Ordo or new vernacular Mass is heretical, Lefebrve ordained his own bishops to protect his lineage. Shocked by this development, SSPX priests loyal to Rome petitioned John Paul II directly and recieved a charter for a new order.

The Fraternity runs four seminaries, one of which is in southern France, one in Bavaria in Germany, and two in the United States. The FSSP also runs a boarding school in Pennsylvania. In contrast to modern seminaries that have begged for entrants, the FSSP has 140 seminarians in total, with a very extensive waiting list.

The only apparent controversy within the FSSP ranks is the question of birituality. Some FSSP priests have suggested that the members of the society say Mass in the new vernacular style when pastorally necessary. In cases where modern priests share a parish with a FSSP priest, it would be advantageous for the FSSP priest to take up some of the vernacular Masses. Conservative members of the movement have declared this destructive to the charter of the organization, and have vowed to maintain their Latin-only status as long as possible.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.