This node is part of the 13 challenges for the 13th generation.
Get the word out! We need more aggressive and effective AIDS prevention programs for young people.
Every six minutes, another person dies of AIDS in the United States. Today more Americans have died of AIDS than in the Gulf, Vietnam, and Korean wars combined. Already more than 1 million Americans are infected with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS-and that number grows by the tens of thousands each year, with the largest proportionate increase in AIDS cases among heterosexuals.
HIV infection may not yet be curable, but it is preventable.
- Increase federal funding for AIDS prevention
- Make condoms freely available to sexually active young people
- Increase the education of AIDS prevention in schools
- Clean needles reduce the spread of AIDS
- More AIDS prevention messages on TV