In general terms, precipitation is the condensation and falling out of any substance from a solution. More specifically, this is often used in meteorological terms to refer to water, in liquid or ice form, falling out of the atmosphere. The most common forms of precipitation consist of rain or snow, however precipitation also includes other frozen forms such as hail, sleet, graupel, freezing rain, etc. Precipitation is most often associated with fronts or low pressure areas , or with local convection. Precipitation which re-evaporates before reaching the ground is called virga.

Pre*cip`i*ta"tion (?), n. [L. praecipitatio: cf. F. précipitation.]

1.

The act of precipitating, or the state of being precipitated, or thrown headlong.

In peril of precipitation
From off rock Tarpeian.
Shak.

2.

A falling, flowing, or rushing downward with violence and rapidity.

The hurry, precipitation, and rapid motion of the water, returning . . . towards the sea.
Woodward.

3.

Great hurry; rash, tumultuous haste; impetuosity. "The precipitation of inexperience." Rambler.

4. (Chem.)

The act or process of precipitating from a solution.

 

© Webster 1913


Pre*cip`i*ta"tion, n. (Meteor.)

A deposit on the earth of hail, mist, rain, sleet, or snow; also, the quantity of water deposited.

⇒ Deposits of dew, fog, and frost are not regarded by the United States Weather Bureau as precipitation. Sleet and snow are melted, and the record of precipitation shows the depth of the horizontal layers of water in hundredths of an inch or in millimeters.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.