Powerball - It's America's Game
A multi-state lottery in the United States whose major competitor is currently The Big Game's Mega Millions. Has featured several jackpots in excess of $100 million, although those were split between multiple winners. A typical jackpot usually ranges between $30 million and $40 million.
States/Territories where you can play Powerball
Note that you do not need to be a resident of these states to play, but you must buy tickets in these states. Border towns often experience runs on tickets shortly after the announcement of a big jackpot.
- Washington, D.C.
- New Hampshire
- New Mexico
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- U.S. Virgin Islands
- West Virginia
How to play
Choose five numbers from a field of 53, and one number (the Powerball) from a field of 42. You can also have the computer choose pseudo-random numbers for you. Each play costs $1.00. To win, match one of the following combinations. Note that "Any n numbers" does NOT include the number you chose as the Powerball.
- All 5 numbers and the Powerball: Jackpot (120,526,770 to 1)
- All 5 numbers but not the Powerball: $100,000 (2,939,677.32 to 1)
- Any 4 numbers and the Powerball: $5,000 (502,194.88 to 1)
- Any 4 numbers but not the Powerball: $100 (12,248.66 to 1)
- Any 3 numbers and the Powerball: $100 (10,685.00 to 1)
- Any 3 numbers but not the Powerball: $7 (260.61 to 1)
- Any 2 numbers and the Powerball: $7 (696.85 to 1)
- Any number and the Powerball: $4 (123.88 to 1)
- Just the Powerball: $3 (70.39 to 1)
An interesting statistical sidenote: notice that although you pick the Powerball from a field of 42, your odds of winning ninth place are about 70 to 1. That's because you have to discount all of the situations where you would win more than $3 because of additional numbers matched. Only one prize can be won per ticket.
Powerball home page: http://www.powerball.com/
Editors Note - May 15, 2013
In addition, the following States also offer you the chance to become a millioniare via Powerball.
Residents of Washington D.C. and the U.S. Virgin Islands are also eligible to play.