In basketball, one of the frontcourt positions. Also known as the 4. Power forwards tend to be between 6-foot-7 and 7 feet tall. The position is primarily looked to for rebounding and defense, though some power forwards are also excellent scorers. In today's NBA, where there is a shortage of quality centers, many power forwards also play that position. Some notable power forwards, past and present:

Charles Barkley. "The Round Mound of Rebound" was a dominant scorer and rebounder, and at 6-foot-5, one of the shortest players to ever play the position.

Dennis Rodman. The greatest modern-day rebounder, Rodman was a complete non-participant on the offensive end, saving all his energies for rebounding. "The Worm" led the league in boards for seven straight seasons, before leaving the game to marry Carmen Electra and become a full-time human freak.

Karl Malone. A scoring machine, unfairly teamed with one of the best point guards of all time, John Stockton, to create a pick-and-roll dynasty in Mormon country.

Charles Oakley. The prototypical lunch-bucket power forward. Oakley's lack of athleticism didn't hurt his ability to play bruising, bare-knuckled defense. He spent the best years of his career covering for Patrick Ewing's defensive shortcomings.

Kevin Garnett. Perhaps the best power forward in today's game. KG was drafted straight out of high school, and is the game's most complete player. He can score from anywhere, pass, rebound, and block shots. And he'll probably only keep getting better.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.