Powell's is a huge bookstore located in lovely Portland, Oregon
. In fact, it is the largest bookstore in the US (world?). It is named after the man who started & runs the store. The main store takes up one city block, between West Burnside & NW Couch Streets, and 10 and 11 Avenues. The Portland Streetcar
makes it easy to reach Powell's, running north on 10 Av and south on 11 Av, or take Tri-met
Powell's main store is organized by color-coded rooms:
- Green room: 1st floor. Burnside & 10 Av entrance. Cashiers. New stuff, Magazines, Pacific Northwest.
- Blue room: 1st floor. Reference, Literature.
- Gold room: 1st floor. Sci-fi, Romance, Mysteries.
- Coffee room: 1st floor. Coffee shop. Audio books, Humor.
- Orange room: 1st floor. Couch & 11 Av entrance. Cashiers. Used book buyers. Cooking, Buisness, Gardening, Crafts.
- Rose room: 1st floor. Children, Science, Sports, Outdoors.
- Purple room: 2nd floor. Philoshophy, History, Economics.
- Red room: 2nd floor. Travel, Languages, Theology, Health, Psychology.
- Pearl room: 3rd floor. Art, Architecture, Photography, Film, Music.
- Rare book room: 3rd floor. You guessed it! Rare books.
In addition to the main store, Powell's has several branches in the area.
Don't forget powells.com! New & used books
, free shipping
or pickup at a nearby store.
Powell's is a Portland institution, tourist attraction, and a super bookstore. No visit to Portland is complete without a visit to the "city of books."