Popovers are a fun quick bread. They're easy to make--you can memorize the recipe in no time--and they're cool because they "pop" in the oven, resulting in a nearly hollow inside. This leavening effect is created by steam rather than yeast. Traditionally, they're pierced with a knife to release the steam right after they're taken from the oven. The recipe is related to Yorkshire pudding.

W's Popovers

1 c Milk
1 c Flour
2 Eggs
1/2 ts Salt

Mix together till yolks are blended in, but don't beat too much. Pour into butter-greased muffin pan. Bake 15 minutes in preheated 450 degree oven; *then* lower temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking another 15 minutes. Serve immediately with jam, honey, and/or butter.

My Friend P's Cheese Popovers, in her words

1 cup flour
1/4 tsp. chili powder
dash of oregano
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (or salt) (or less, I just like garlic)
1 tbsp. margarine
1 cup milk
3 eggs
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, preferably sharp

set oven to 375.
Put the dry ingredients in a bowl. then stir in the other stuff, except for the cheese. stir very well. add the cheese and put into muffin tins. bake for 45-50 minutes (if using the normal sized muffin tins).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.