A small town in western Belgium, located about 15km west of Ieper. It is famous mainly for its association with the bloody trench warfare during World War I.

Poperinghe was situated some distance back from the front throughout the war, and seen as relatively secure (it was in Allied control throughout the war, apart from August to Ocotober 1914). For this reason, it was effectively commandeered by the Allied forces as their primary military base in Flanders. In this capacity, the town was filled with administrative staff, high-ranking officers and hospitals.
One of Poperinghe's most famous buildings is Talbot House, or Toc H, which soldiers used as a place to rest and recuperate after the carnage of the Ypres salient. The building has been preserved as a museum, complete with all the original decoration and decor.

As part of its role as an administrative base, a number of court martials were conducted in the town, mainly for desertion. Indeed, in Poperinghe New Military Cemetery, there are 17 graves of soldiers who were executed as cowards, despite many of them having shell shock. The wooden post to which the men were tied before their death has also been preserved.

Today, Poperinghe is famous for producing hops, a vital ingredient in beer, although most of the town's economy is centered around tourism.

Factual source:
http://www.firstworldwar.com/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.