Old school candy made from water, sugar, corn syrup, and flavoring.

The ingredients are mixed, and are then boiled at a high temperature to evaporate the water. When the water has evaporated, you are left with pure sugar syrup. This syrup is added to Carbon Dioxide gas at a pressure of 600 PSI.

When the syrup cools, the pressure is released. The release of the pressure causes the candy to shatter, creating tiny candy bits. When these bits are melted in your mouth, the Carbon Dioxide bubbles burst, "popping" in your mouth.

There's an Urban Legend that mixing pop rocks and cola causes a tremendous explosion. Supposedly this killed Mikey the Life Cereal boy. Parodied in an episode of the Simpsons where Marge and Homer escape a candy maker's convention by causing such an explosiong.

Just as a side note, Watermelon is my favorite flavor.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.