Where ducks live. And fish and swans and of course pond scum.

Also, when capitalised (The Pond), a nickname for the Atlantic Ocean.

See also: lake.

A term often referring in jest to the mass amount of water covering the majority of the world. Also where little minnows swim in blissful freedom, only to be eaten by large pike that came downriver from the flooding upstream and wanted a little snack. Scum of the pond ilk, is scum of the worst sort. Ponds often play innocent roles in many deragatory statements. "Man, you suck ice like a pond," or "You have pond breath like you wouldn't believe."

A small static shape in the game of life.

......
..##..
.#..#.
.#..#.
..##..
......

Pond (?), n. [Probably originally, an inclosed body of water, and the same word as pound. See Pound an inclosure.]

A body of water, naturally or artificially confined, and usually of less extent than a lake.

"Through pond or pool."

Milton.

Pond hen Zool., the American coot. See Coot (a). -- Pond lily Bot., the water lily. See under Water, and Illust. under Nymphaea. -- Pond snail Zool., any gastropod living in fresh-water ponds or lakes. The most common kinds are air-breathing snails (Pulmonifera) belonging to Limnaea, Physa, Planorbis, and allied genera. The operculated species are pectinibranchs, belonging to Melantho, Valvata, and various other genera.<-- Some general are italicised, otheres not. Why?? Thus in orig. --> -- Pond spice Bot., an American shrub (Tetranthera geniculata) of the Laurel family, with small oval leaves, and axillary clusters of little yellow flowers. The whole plant is spicy. It grows in ponds and swamps from Virginia to Florida. -- Pond tortoise, Pond turtle Zool., any freshwater tortoise of the family Emydidae. Numerous species are found in North America.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pond (?), v. t.

To make into a pond; to collect, as water, in a pond by damming.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pond, v. t. [See Ponder.]

To ponder.

[Obs.]

Pleaseth you, pond your suppliant's plaint. Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.