Polysics exploded onto the Tokyo music scene in 1998, playing a unique blend of synth-pop, and no-wave rock and roll. At live performances - they identified themselves only by number - POLY-1, POLY-2, POLY-3, and POLY-4. When they released their first major album 1st P it didn't take long for their logo (a plain capital P in a white circle against a saftey orange backdrop) to become nearly ubitquious in Tokyo. However, before this album and big break - POLY-2 - their bassist left, and they had to rely on outside Bass support (Fumi - who would later join the band full time). By the release of A·D·S·R·M!, their second album, the POLY-X names were dropped, and they band referred to themselves by their real names.

Polysics Are: Hiro (Hiroyuki Hayashi) - Guitar, Vocals, Vocoder and Programming
Kayo - Synthesizer, Vocoder, Vocals
Ishimaru - Drum Support
Fumi - Bass, Vocals

The music is a bizarre, and unique blend of influences. Most prominant is the influence of Post-Punk pioneers, Devo. Devo influenced not only the Polysics signature sound, but their visual style and the subject matter of their lyrics. Of course, while Hiroyuki may deny this, there is evidence of other influences in their music, ranging from the synthesized pop of Kraftwerk, and Gary Numan to the No Wave and Post-Punk genres.

Their first two albums (1st P and A.D.S.R.M!) spawned two live videos, a remix album and a live album (containing an excellent live cover of the Devo classic Social Fools). Tracks from these two albums were used to make the American release, Hey! Bob! My Friend!, released on Asian Man Records in 2000. Polysics third album, Neu (named after the German band of the same name) marked a subtle but noticable shift in their sound. The insane chaos and sound of a band on a caffiene/speed high were toned down to provide a more refined sense of melody than anyone suspected they had. This improved sense of melody was refined on their follow up albums Eno and For Young Electric Pop.

Their latest Mini-Album, Kaja Kaja Goo harkens back to the organized chaos of their first two releases, with a powerful title track and accompanying music video, in the style of Devo's "Beautiful World" video. Polysics also have made a second attack on the Americas with a US release of their 2000 album Neu, on Asian Man Records. After the release of these albums, however, the original drummer for Polysics, Junichi Sugai left the band. Ishimaru joined Polysics on drums for the US tour in support of Neu, and their newest Japanese release, National P.

The intense energy that flows through Polysics albums explodes when they perform live. They work as a cohesive unit, while seeming to be flying apart in all directions. It is something that must be experienced to be believed. However, if you can't make it to a show, there are two, very different, live DVDs avaliable -- DVDVPVDVLIVE!!, filmed in Japan on the For Young Electric Pop tour, and PippikkippippiP, filmed on their US tour for Neu.

With the release of Neu in the USA, Polysics have begun to build up a serious following on this side of the Pacific Ocean. Polysics unique sound, and intense energy are something that should be experienced.

Polysics Discography:
1999 - 1st P
1999 - A.D.S.R.M!
2000 - 6-D (Remix Album)
2000 - Live In Japan
2000 - XCT (Single)
2000 - Each Life Each End (Single)
2000 - Neu
2000 - Hey! Bob! My Friend! (US Compilation Album)
2001 - New Wave Jacket (Single)
2001 - Eno
2002 - Lo-Bits (Mini Album)
2002 - For Young Electric Pop!
2003 - Kaja Kaja Goo (Mini-Album)
2003 - Neu US Version
2003 - National P

Polysics Videography:
1999 - Live At Newwave (VHS)
2000 - B.G.V (VHS)
2003 - DVDVPVDVLIVE!! (DVD)
2004 - PippikkippippiP (DVD)

Polysics Music Videos:
PLUS CHICKER
Hot Stuff
XCT
Each Life Each End
New Wave Jacket
Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto
Black Out Fall Out
Kaja Kaja Goo
Peach Pie On The Beach

This node has been revised, and is based on the "About" page of my Polysics Lyrics Database web site (http://www.sanspoint.com/polysics/).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.