Rock/reggae band formed in 1977 who had many top ten hits including Roxanne, Message in a Bottle, Walking on the Moon and Every Breath You Take.
They were a three piece whose members were Sting, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland.
All three went onto have solo careers with Sting having the most success sales-wise.

Discography:
1978 Outlandos d'Amour
1979 Reggatta de Blanc
1980 Zenyatta Mondatta
1981 Ghost in the Machine
1983 Synchronicity

Every Breath You Take was sampled by Puff Daddy on his international hit I'll Be Missing You.

Police are people employed by the state to keep public order and enforce the law when they feel like it by wearing uniforms and carrying guns. They spend most of their time patrolling and responding to minor incidents and crimes. If you need the police, call 911. If you don't need the police, don't cause trouble in public or motivate someone to call them. Police like donuts. People into leathersex sometimes dress up like police because it turns them on.

I had just gotten across the bridge and was starting out along the bayshore toward the cottage when I heard the short "whurrr" of a police siren and saw the flashing lights in my rearview mirror. Though I was mildly intoxicated, I hadn't done anything wrong as far as I knew. As soon as I pulled over, a police car came from the other direction and parked in front of my car, so that I was sandwiched between them.

"May I see your license please, sir," said the officer at my car window.

"Did I do something wrong?" I asked, as I handed him the license. Under the circumstances, that is, not being completely sober, I was surprisingly casual. It never really occurred to me I might get arrested for Breaking the law.

"Your left turn signal is out," he said shortly, and he walked away from my car with the license in his hand.

He conferred with the officer in the other car briefly, returning to his vehicle to do a license plate check. The other officer came to my car window.

"Where are you headed for?" he asked me.

"Home," I replied. "I live out at the cottages down Bayshore Drive."

He grunted and walked over to his partner's car, they said a few words, and as I was handed my license back the police car in front of mine pulled away. Apparently they decided I wasn't dangerous, in any case.

"Your plates are registered to another owner. Is this your vehicle?"

"Yes," I replied. "I just bought it. I sent in my registration fee. See, there in the window - the money order receipt." I knew very little about owning and operating a car, for even though I was 24 years old, I had not been driving long. I had moved to this rural Wisconsin town from San Francisco and purchased the rusted-out station wagon for $500.

"Get those plates off of there and give them to the original owner. When your plates arrive in the mail, put them on." Very business-like, unfriendly even, considering how friendly and cooperative I was being. "How long have you been living in Wisconsin?" He asked - I had a California driver's license.

"About five months," I replied. "I really like it here," I added, thinking he was finally letting down his guard and becoming friendly.

"You'll need to apply for a Wisconsin driver's license," he said as he handed me the card. "I'm issuing a warning. Get the direction signal fixed. As soon as you get home, get those plates off. Get a Wisconsin state driver's license. You have thirty days to comply. When you have taken care of this matter, you need to arrange an inspection with an officer. Failure to do so will result in a violation." He was writing all the while on his pad. Now he ripped the note off and handed it to me. "Any questions?"

"No. I'm sorry. I didn't know about the license plates."

"Good evening," He said. "I suggest you go straight home."

As we drove off in our respective directions I began to reflect, wondering what more was behind this encounter than a burned out direction signal.

Police ranks can be complex, and change from country to country and through time, but here are the basic rankings in America and the UK.

UK Police Ranks
Higher ranks differ in the Provincial forces and the Metropolitan Police.

Provincial forces            Metropolitan Police
Chief Constable ------------ Commissioner
---------------------------- Deputy commissioner
Deputy Chief Constable ----- Assistant Commissioner
---------------------------- Deputy Assistant Commissioner
Assistant Chief Constable -- Commander
From here on down both forces use the same ranking system
Chief Superintendent 
Superintendent
Chief Inspector
Inspector
Sergeant
Constable


USA Police Ranks
Police Commissioner (County)
Police Chief (Town)
Deputy Chief
Captain
Lieutenant Detective Lieutenant
Sergeant Detective Sergeant
Detective
Patrolman




US State Police Ranks (Pennsylvania)

Colonel
Lieutenant colonel
Major
Captain
Lieutenant
Sergeant
Corporal
Trooper
Cadet

Low ranks which may exist in police systems include Student Rank, Cadet and Reservist. These are usually unpaid.

In America, Animal Control, Parking Enforcement, etc. are civilian organizations which may be closely associated with the police. The Station Officer is also a civilian position.

Po*lice" (?), n. [F., fr. L. politia the condition of a state, government, administration, Gr. , fr. to be a citizen, to govern or administer a state, fr. citizen, fr. city; akin to Skr. pur, puri. Cf. Policy polity, Polity.]

1.

A judicial and executive system, for the government of a city, town, or district, for the preservation of rights, order, cleanliness, health, etc., and for the enforcement of the laws and prevention of crime; the administration of the laws and regulations of a city, incorporated town, or borough.

2.

That which concerns the order of the community; the internal regulation of a state.

3.

The organized body of civil officers in a city, town, or district, whose particular duties are the preservation of good order, the prevention and detection of crime, and the enforcement of the laws.

4. Mil.

Military police, the body of soldiers detailed to preserve civil order and attend to sanitary arrangements in a camp or garrison.

5.

The cleaning of a camp or garrison, or the state a camp as to cleanliness.

Police commissioner, a civil officer, usually one of a board, commissioned to regulate and control the appointment, duties, and discipline of the police. -- Police constable, ∨ Police officer, a policeman. -- Police court, a minor court to try persons brought before it by the police. -- Police inspector, an officer of police ranking next below a superintendent. -- Police jury, a body of officers who collectively exercise jurisdiction in certain cases of police, as levying taxes, etc.; -- so called in Louisiana. Bouvier. -- Police justice, ∨ Police magistrate, a judge of a police court. -- Police offenses Law, minor offenses against the order of the community, of which a police court may have final jurisdiction. -- Police station, the headquarters of the police, or of a section of them; the place where the police assemble for orders, and to which they take arrested persons.

 

© Webster 1913.


Po*lice", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Policed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Policing.]

1.

To keep in order by police.

2. Mil.

To make clean; as, to police a camp.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.