Point Nemo is the the primary oceanic pole of inaccessibility, located at 48°52.5′S 123°23.6′W; this is the point in all of Earth's oceans farthest from land. It falls in the South Pacific, in the center of a circle 2,688 kilometers (1,670 miles) in diameter, bounded by Ducie Island (an uninhabited atoll near Pitcairn Island) to the north, Maher Island (off the coast of Antarctica) to the south, and Motu Nui of the Easter Islands to the northeast.

Among its few noteworthy points is that it is quite near H. P. Lovecraft's sunken city of R'lyeh, the "uncharted island" in The Call of Cthulhu being at 47°9′S 126°43′W. Oceanic surveys have not yet confirmed the presence of any sunken cities, or much of anything else.

Which just goes to show how few oceanic surveys of the area have been successfully completed, as this is also the site of the largest spacecraft cemetery on Earth. Four kilometers below the ocean's surface there are nearly 300 spacecraft that have been intentionally deorbited to fall as far as possible from any humans. This includes Mir and the six Salyut stations, and will someday soon include the International Space Station.

Speaking of space, while the nearest inhabited land is more than 1,300 kilometers away, the International Space Station orbits at just 408 km in altitude. In the absence of any wayward ships or planes, this means that sometimes the closest humans to Point Nemo are the astronauts aboard the ISS.

And that, for the most part, is that. Point Nemo falls within the South Pacific Gyre, the world's largest oceanic desert and home of the South Pacific garbage patch. As the patch is comprised primarily of microbeads and other microscopic fibers, there isn't much anything to see.

292

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.