The Pogo Ball was one of the cooler toys of the 1980s. Who could possibly forget these things? What they basically were was a pogo stick in the form of a ball that you hopped up and down on. They were sold by Hasbro from 1987 to the early 1990s and appear to be completely unavailable* today, but checking eBay couldn't hurt.

The Pogo Ball was constructed entirely of rubber and plastic. It consisted of two connected rubber balls (which were actually a single unit), and a round plastic standing platform between them. You would stand on the platform and grip the top ball with your feet and jump up and down.

From the side it looked something like this.
         xxxx  
        x    x 
        x    x  
         x  x   
  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 
         x  x    
        x    x      
        x    x 
         xxxx 

My ASCII art is bad 
because I am a bad person!

Back in the old days we all had Pogo Balls. The kids in the commercials could do all sorts of cool tricks on them, but all my friends and I could do was hop up and down. Alas, all Pogo Balls seemed to suffer the same fate, breakage. Either the bouncing platform would crack or the ball itself would pop. In general they seemed to last about a year with moderate use.

The last Pogo Balls that Hasbro produced were much smaller than normal, which was totally stupid because they were too small for older kids and younger kids really weren't coordinated enough to stay on the darn things in the first place.

* They are rumored to still be available in the United Kingdom, where they are called Lolo Balls.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.