Poffertjes are little pancakes; about 5 cm (2 in.) in diameter. This is a traditional Dutch delicacy. To make poffertjes, you will need to have a proper pan, aptly called a poffertjespan. It is a flat pan with about a dozen little cups that you fill with batter.

Ingredients:

  • 125 gram flour
  • 125 gram buckwheat flour
  • 1 egg
  • 250 ml milk
  • ± 250 ml water
  • 15 gram fresh yeast (1 pck dry yeast)
  • 50 gram butter
  • salt (when using unsalted butter)


  • Powdered sugar (topping)


  • The traditional recipe calls for the buckwheat flour, but when that's not available, substitute it with regular (wheat) flour.
Method:
  • Dissolve the yeast in 3 tbsp lukewarm milk
  • Mix flour and buckwheat flour
  • Mix the flour, yeast, water, and milk to form a smooth batter. Adjust the amount of water so that the batter is liquid, but viscous.
  • Melt the butter and add it to the batter. If necessary, add salt.
  • Beat the egg and add it to the batter. Mix the batter well.
  • Cover the batter with a damp cloth and allow it to rise for 30 minutes on a warm location.


  • Put the batter in a squeeze bottle
  • Add butter to the poffertjes pan, and put it on the stove at maximum heat.
  • Fill each cup of the pan with batter
  • Flip over the poffertjes when the top surface solidifies. Use a fork or a skewer to turn the poffertjes. The poffertjes must be golden brown on both sides.
  • Serve directly, with powdered sugar and a little bit of (unsalted) butter.

Poffertjes (sp?) are one of the most delicious foodstuffs on Earth. As well as your dedicated poffertjespan,* you can get some ready-formulated poffertjes-mix (like cake mix). Don't cook them as thoroughly as you would (American, 6") breakfast pancakes or (English, 10"+) proper pancakes, use as a guide the background colour of the Jukka Dim Theme. The powdered sugar is an important, nay vital, element.

It must be some kind of premeditated coincidence that these scrumptious little gits come from the same country that furnishes us with some of the most potent and munchies-inducing skunk around. Three cheers for the Netherlands!

*I gave up trying to spell that and just cut and pasted it. How do the Dutch manage?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.