A movie release in 1999. Written and directed by Ron Shelton. Players: Woody Harrelson, Antonio Banderas, Lolita Davidovich, Lucy Liu, Tom Sizemore, Robert Wagner, and many more, plus a lot of cameo appearances by many other Hollywood and boxing figures.

No one hits as hard as your best friend.

There is a big fight in Vegas (Tyson vs. some no name) and both of the boxers on the undercard are lost the day of the match. In desperation the promoters call Vince Boudreau (Woody Harrelson) and Cesar Dominguez (Antonio Bandears). They are two over-the-hill has-been boxers, who are friends, but have never fought each other. They manage to get the promoters to agree to give the winner a title fight, which would be a last chance at either of them being a real name in boxing. The tensions rise as they travel to Vegas. We get to learn a lot about the two characters on their way there since they don't have the money to fly they get a friend Grace Pasic (Lolita Davidovich) to drive them.

I thought the movie dragged on too much while they were on their way to Vegas. Lia, Lucy Liu's character, gave it some relief. I understand the purpose of getting us to feel closer to the characters, but at some points I almost hit the fast forward button. The end really makes it all worthwhile, this movie has a pretty good ending.

I'll give it 2.5/4.0.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.