A pinner is a very small joint
. A pinner is the easiest type of joint to roll
, in that one does not need to concern oneself with spilling over of excess
marijuana, or parsley
for that matter. To say that another has rolled a pinner is to disparage their joint-rolling ability, and to voice a complaint. A pinner is only just able to provide a buzz
, but not quite the high sought by those who smoke marijuana. In the case of rolled parsley, a pinner is insufficient to produce even such a buzz. The pinner derives its name from its resemblance to a pin
(relative to other, thicker joints), being long and thin.
A pinner is also a type of vestigial cap worn by women in the 17th and 18th centuries. It consists of a flat bit of fabric with a ruffle on the front and around the sides. It has two long lappets pinned on, and hanging down from the head. Being made largely of lace, a pinner was then considered a dressier piece of headdress than a cap.
Pinner is also a village in Middlesex, in the west end of the borough of Harrow, in the county of Greater London, 22km northwest of central London, and situated on the Metropolitan Line. It is a hamlet that dates from the 14th century. The name Pinner is Saxon, and it was the most distinguishable of the medieval Harrow Manor’s ten hamlets. The lord of the manor of Harrow rented out the large part of the land, which the villagers would work. There has been a church in the area that is Pinner since the 1230s, which formed the centre of the city. There was a forest and a green to the north, and fields for farming to the south. Presently, these fields are covered in large estate properties, with semi-detached homes.
In 1336, by command of King Edward III, Pinner held the Midsummer fair, which featured a feast in honour of the hamlet’s patron saint, St. John the Baptist. Pinner Fair is still held annually at Whitsun. The Tudor and Stuart periods brought about an increase of tradespersons in the town centre; houses were built, and wealthy Londoners began to buy up land, and build their own manors and mansions. In the 1800s, most of the land was sold to private interests, with fewer and fewer family farms. A trend throughout all of England, in the early part of the 19th century, the population of Pinner began to rise.
In 1837, the London and Birmingham Railway was built and, running through the northeast of the village, it allowed the population to continue to grow. Pinner station was opened in 1842, renamed Hatch End in 1948. As farming became less labour-intensive, employment moved out of the agricultural sector, and into domestic service. In 1884, a school was built, and in 1885, several villas were constructed because of the increased economic activity resulting from the existing railroad and the then new Metropolitan Railway. Also because of the new railway, Londoners were able to buy country homes, and the people of Pinner were able to commute to London for work.
At the turn of the 20th century, Pinner’s population had reached 3366 people. In the interwar period, Greater London expanded to include Pinner; out went all the fields, and along came new churches, schools, roads, shopping centres, and cinemas. By 1961, the population had reached 46000. All postal codes in Pinner begin with HA5, after the borough of Harrow.