The Czech Pilsner Urquell is considered the best beer in the world by many experts, and I agree very much with them. But then again taste is individual. So I suggest you go out and try one for yourself. But if you're used to "thin" beer like budweiser you will probably think it tastes of too much, the same problem with wines: high quality wine tastes of too much to the untrained tongue.
The brewery also claim that Urquell is the first pilsner on earth, they might be right, after all the region in the Czech republic where it is brewed, is called plzen.
The original Pilsner. Pilsner Urquell was produced by Bavarian master brewer Joseph Groll for the Burghers' Brewery in the town of Pilsen in 1842. It is however not the first transparent beer, nor even the first transparent lager - most lighter coloured beers are transparent, even unfiltered ales, depending whether they are poured with the sediment or not.

The name Pilsner Urquell was registered in 1898 in order to distinguish it from the many imitators it had spawned. The name is German for "original source Pilsner". The brewery at which it is produced is also now officially called Pilsner Urquell although it has been known as Plzensky Prazdroj, the Czech equivalent, and this name still appears on bottles. The brewery is located on Prazdroje street and is now owned by South African Breweries.

The beer itself is a clear and golden lager with a dry and bitter flavour. The famous Saaz hops are used but from my tasting they have been used mostly for bittering rather than to contribute even as much flavour or aroma as in other pilsners. This beer is generally despised by beer snobs as it has been so influential in the rise of mass produced lager. Judged on its own merits it's not so bad, but there's not much to it besides the bitterness from the hops, and could do with a little flavour. Nevertheless it's quite interesting to taste a beer that has had so much impact on the world of humankind's greatest beverage.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.