The reason why these little darlings are so expensive, dear wharfinger, is because they come from inside a pine cone, which must be heated to facilitate removal, often by hand, a labour intensive process.

Pignoli are also known as piñon, pignolia, and, of course, pine nuts. There are several varieties of pine trees which yield pignoli; they grow in China, Italy, Mexico, North Africa, and the southwestern United States. There are two main varieties; the Italian variety has a more delicate flavour and is thus more costly; the Chinese is cheaper and stronger flavoured. You'll probably find the latter only in Asian supermarkets.

Like most nuts, pignoli have a high fat content (they are actually higher in fat than most), and so will turn rancid quite quickly. Store them in the fridge in a tightly sealed container for up to 3 months or in the freezer for 9. Also like most nuts, light toasting will enhance their flavour; use wharfinger's method above, or put them in a small, dry, non-stick frying pan and toast them over medium heat, shaking the pan frequently to prevent burning.

Toss them on anything. They are also the classic nut in pesto. Tasty.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.