Pigeon Forge, Tennessee and its neighbor Sevierville, Tennessee are the the western half of one of the greatest, if not the greatest White Trash Mecca in the entire South. Setting astride US Route 441, which is the road between Gatlinburg and Knoxville, about 5 miles west of Gatlinburg, which is the infamous eastern half of the White Trash Mecca. Pigeon Forge is the home for all of the tourist trap kitsch that couldn't fit in Gatlinburg, which is hemmed in by the Great Smoky Mountains. Greater Pigeon Forge (which includes Sevierville) is a 10 mile long stretch of fast food restaurants, cheap motels, kitschy emporiums with a general theme of Country Music.

Major Attractions:

Dollywood: Named for the famous country music singer Dolly Parton, and is a country music themed amusement park.

Music Houses and Theatres: Mostly Southern themed dinner theatres featuring names of Country Music greats such as Anita Bryant, Lee Greenwood, Loise Mandrell, and of course The King.

Carbo's Police Museum Dedicated to Sheriff Buford Pusser of Walking Tall fame.

Celebrity Themed Restaurants Such as the one owned by the band Alabama

Kitschy Merchandise Emporiums: The perfect place to buy that Velvet Elvis for that special someone. Dozens, if not hundreds of these establishments to choose from.

I stopped there a few years ago during the interval between the summer tourists and the fall leafers when things were fairly quiet, after driving the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was somewhat dazzled the the sheer quantity of attractions and stores, and thought it might be worth spending an extra day to check the place over. By early afternoon the next day, it had the sweet, unsatisfying feel of cotton candy, and I was asking myself why I bothered to stay.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.