1953-1977. Guitarist, writer. From Cleveland; a co-founder of the proto-punk Rocket from the Tombs, one of those many misunderstood early-70s bands formed by the children of Iggy and the Velvets. Laughner joined RftT lead singer David Thomas in forming Pere Ubu (co-guitarist Cheetah Chrome ended up founding the Dead Boys with Stiv Bators); some of his material from those days includes "Life Stinks", "Final Solution", and "30 Seconds Over Tokyo".

Laughner was one of the gonzo-est rock'n'rollers there ever was, but he ended up overgonzoing. He moved to Manhattan, and essentially drank himself to death, but the corpse kept kickin' out the jams for a while, before succumbing to acute pancreatitis. There is little recorded evidence of his non-Ubu work; every few years, an album appears, of something done in Cleveland or New York, but it goes out of print quickly.

Occasional jamming, drinking, and drugging buddy of Lester Bangs, a fellow gonzo émigré to NYC, who wrote a great eulogy, of sorts, in New York Rocker, including...

I volunteer not to feel anything about him from this day out, but I will not forget that this kid killed himself for something torn T-shirts represented in the battle fires of his ripped emotions, and that does not make your T-shirts profound, on the contrary, it makes you a bunch of assholes if you espouse what he latched onto in support of his long death agony, and if I have run out of feeling for the dead I can also truly say that from here on out I am only interested in true feeling, and the pursuit of some ultimate escape from that was what killed Peter, which is all I truly know of his life, except that the hardest thing in this living world is to confront your own pain and go through it, but somehow life is not a paltry thing after all next to this child's inheritance of eternal black. So don't anybody try to wave good-bye.

But Lester didn't heed the canary in the soul mine; he died himself, five years later. Do you want to be a dead legend or a living nobody?

Peter missed out on all the fun. So did Lester.

See also Peter Laughner on Coney Island Baby.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.