Pesky's Pole is the right-field foul pole at Fenway Park in Boston, named after Johnny Pesky, a Red Sox shortstop in the 1950s.

The shape of Fenway's right field corner is rather different from that of most modern major league parks. At most parks, the wall separating the stands from foul territory extends past first (and third) base roughly parallel to the foul line, and the outfield wall forms a rough right angle with this wall. The foul pole extends upward from the foul line as painted on the outfield wall, completely within fair territory (thus, any ball that hits the foul pole is a home run -- see Carlton Fisk's legendary World Series Game 6 HR in 1975). At Fenway, though, foul territory narrows so sharply that the side wall actually extends into fair territory for 10-15 feet, and the right field corner is completely within fair territory. The seats along that line still face sideways, rows roughly parallel to the theoretical extension of that foul line into the seats, meaning that you have to turn left in your seats to see play taking place in the infield.

"Pesky's Pole" is just 302 feet from home plate, and Pesky, who only hit 6 HRs at Fenway in his career (and 17 overall), wrapped one of those rare homers around that foul pole to win a game for pitcher Mel Parnell. Parnell named the pole after Pesky in gratitude, and the name stuck.


Source: http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/ballpark/bos_ballpark_facts.jsp and personal experience.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.