Perverted by Language is a 1983 album by The Fall.

Track List (for original):

  1. Eat Y'Self Fitter
  2. Neighbourhood of Infinity
  3. Garden
  4. Hotel Bloedel
  5. Smile
  6. I Feel Voxish
  7. Tempo House
  8. Hexen Definitive/Strife Knot
Track List {for 1998 reissue):
  1. Man Whose Head Expanded
  2. Ludd Gang
  3. Kicker Conspiracy
  4. Wings
  5. Eat Yourself Fitter
  6. Neighbourhood of Infinity
  7. Garden
  8. Hotel Bloedel
  9. Smile
  10. I Feel Voxish
  11. Tempo House
  12. Hexen Definitive/Strife Knot
  13. Pilsner Trail

This album was originally released on Rough Trade in December of 1983. It has been reissued four times in total: once in '84, again in '93, and then twice in '98. The last reissue contains five bonus tracks, and the whole album is remixed.


This is probably my favorite Fall album of those I've heard. If you have never heard the Fall, I'd recommend getting this: it will help you decide whether you absolutely love them or utterly hate them. I don't like the arrangement of tracks on the reissue; if you already own the Kicker Conspiracy and The Man Whose Head Expanded singles, there is no sense in getting the reissue, as Pilsner Trail is a rather third-rate studio outtake. The reissue is of better use to those who would like to be introduced to the wonderful and frightening world of The Fall. This album marks Brix Smith's first appearance with the band (she sings on Hotel Bloedel).

The album (original) opens with "Eat Y'self Fitter", a strange, rather representative song. Repetitive instrumentation provides a backing for some rather awesome lyrics. The next track is "Neighbourhood of Infinity"--absurdist lyrics and great music. "Garden" seems close to a ballad for the Fall, and has interesting lines like Small, small location on huge covenance sodomised by presumption/Crooked traitor past revealed at last; it ends with many Jews on motorbikes. "Hotel Bloedel" is interesting in that it's completely atypical for the Fall. Brix on vocals makes it sound like a completely different band. First-time listeners' ears will probably hook on "Smile"--hard-driving instrumentation and shouted vocals like Take the chicken run, take the chicken run to the toilet! and Physical Awareness! make this song likable. "I Feel Voxish" is the weakest track; it's rather flat and undistinguished. "Tempo House" is unassuming, yet noticeable on the second or so listen, and pleasantly so. Finally, "Hexen Definitive/Strife Knot" is a melancholy and low-key anthem that's fitting as a closer.

Should you get this? Yes.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.