United States Army doctrine pertaining to:

Clearing and correcting jammed weapon while in a combat operation. Weapons M16AX and M4AX Carbine Assault Rifles. Also known as AR-15: S.P.O.R.T.S.

Slap
Pull
Observe
Release
Tap
Squeeze

  • If weapon jams while firing, perform this sequence.

    • Slap up on magazine. This ensures that if the round did not fully load, you shake it loose and the magazine spring pushes the round into the chamber.
    • Pull back the charging handle. This slides the bolt back, ejecting any loose or misfired rounds.
    • Observe the chamber. Check for objects, debris, or rounds. Remove any items.
    • Release the charging handle. This allows the buffer spring to slam the bolt forward, chambering another round.
    • Tap the forward assist. The forward assist is located behind the ejection port. This forces the bolt forward, ensuring the round is chambered properly.
    • Squeeze the trigger.

  • This is the Army doctrine for correcting a malfuction. But in a combat situation, where every second counts, this process is cumbersome and inefficient. Here's how to perform Combat S.P.O.R.T.S.

    • Pull back the charging handle. The malfuctioned round should eject. Quickly check the chamber for rounds.
    • Release and slam the bolt forward.
    • Pound the forward assist once or twice, to ensure the new round chambers.
    • Squeeze the trigger.

OR

  • If the chamber simply didn't slam forward all the way, pound the forward assist or pull the charging handle slightly. This should persuade it forward.


Other notes: If you squeeze the trigger, and here the familiar pop as the round fires, but no kick, you have what is called a "Pop-and-no-kick". The powder fired, but the round wasn't released. PERFORM S.P.O.R.T.S. CAREFULLY. The round could be lodged in the barrel, causing your weapon serious damage if another round is fired.

You must keep your weapon clean. Ever hear the Jessica Lynch story? When the convoy was attacked, survivors noted that many of their weapons jammed. That's because... THEY WERE FUCKING DIRTY! A dirty weapon will jam, it's a serious multiplier. In the deserts of the Middle East, it is paramount that your weapon chamber is clean of sand and grit, and coated with a light coat of CLP, the oil the Army uses on its weapons.

Lastly: Know your weapon. Knowing your weapon will allow you to identify malfunctions quickly and correct them with minimal whining.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.