Peacemaker was a nickname given to Colt’s Single Action Army revolver model of 1873, or the similar Colt’s Frontier Single Action revolver. The Frontier model was chambered for the .44 WCF cartridge (also known as the .44-40), while the Single Action Army was chambered for the .45 Colt cartridge. These models of revolvers were amongst the most popular of the Old West.

The advantage of the Frontier model was the common use of the .44-40 cartridge in both the Colt’s revolver and in the Winchester lever-action rifle or carbine.

Even today single action revolvers have a devoted following, and a significant number of people would rather have one good SAA than all the fancy-pants sooper-dooper high-capacity aluminum alloy-n-polymer pistols in the world.

The Peacemaker was also the nickname for an experimental 14" gun. In 1844, the ten ton cannon was the largest naval gun in the world, and was mounted on the first propellor-driven warship, the USS Princeton. On February 28th of that year, the Princeton was on a cruise on the Potomac loaded with dignitaries including President John Tyler. The gun was being fired to entertain the guests when it exploded, killing six people. Among the casualties were the Secretary of State and the Secretary of the Navy.

Peace"mak`er (?), n.

One who makes peace by reconciling parties that are at variance.

Matt. v. 9.

--Peace"mak`ing, n.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.