This is one of my favourite quick 'pasta snacks', ideal for something late at night, or to feed a hungry group of friends after the pub, or of course if you're hungry and all you have is pasta, mayo and cheese.... (Actually a big bowl of this placed in the centre of the room, one fork to a person, won me a few new friends!) As with all recipes, quality of the ingredients will determine the quality of the final product.

Ingredients

Pasta - Aprox. 100 grams per person. I would recommend you don't use spaghetti, rather something like penne pasta.
Cheese - Ordinary mature cheddar is fine, but other cheeses do of course lend their own charms. Parmesan to garnish is also nice.
Mayonnaise - You will need enough to liberally coat the pasta and the cheese, if you're cooking for many make sure you have a fair sized pot in the cupboard!
Herbs - Largely up to you, however if they are fresh herbs, chop finely. I would recommend thyme, oregano, basil and bay leaves, the exact amount according to your taste and the size of dish!
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper

Preparation

1.) In a large pan, add sufficient water to cook the pasta, and salt and a bay leaf or two. You can also add a sprinkling of the herbs. Bring to a good rolling boil. Meanwhile add the herbs, along with pepper to the mayonnaise and stir in.

2.) When the pasta is cooked, drain the water and return the pasta to the pan. Add the cheese, lightly drizzle with the olive oil and stir well in. After a minute or so, once the cheese has begun to melt, add the mayonnaise and herbs and again stir well.

3.) Serve. You can garnish with more herbs (if fresh!) and parmesan cheese. A couple of hunks of thick granary, malted bread with lashings of salty butter is very welcome too!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.