A division of a hard drive. Each partition is sort of like a seperate hard drive. Why would you want to break up your hard drive? Each partition can have a seperate OS and/or file system. So you could make a dual-boot Linux/Windows system, for example.

A partition of a set S is a set of nonempty mutually disjoint subsets of S such that their union is S. Each element of a partition is called a cell or equivalence class. Each partition of S uniquely determines and is uniquely determined by a particular equivalence relation on S.

Par*ti"tion (?), n. [F. partition, L. partitio. See Part, v.]

1.

The act of parting or dividing; the state of being parted; separation; division; distribution; as, the partition of a kingdom.

And good from bad find no partition. Shak.

2.

That which divides or separates; that by which different things, or distinct parts of the same thing, are separated; separating boundary; dividing line or space; specifically, an interior wall dividing one part or apartment of a house, an inclosure, or the like, from another; as, a brick partition; lath and plaster partitions.

No sight could pass Betwixt the nice partitions of the grass. Dryden.

3.

A part divided off by walls; an apartment; a compartment.

[R.] "Lodged in a small partition."

Milton.

4. Law.

The servance of common or undivided interests, particularly in real estate. It may be effected by consent of parties, or by compulsion of law.

5. Mus.

A score.

Partition of numbers Math., the resolution of integers into parts subject to given conditions.

Brande & C.

 

© Webster 1913.


Par*ti"tion (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Partitioned (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Partitioning.]

1.

To divide into parts or shares; to divide and distribute; as, to partition an estate among various heirs.

2.

To divide into distinct parts by lines, walls, etc.; as, to partition a house.

Uniform without, though severally partitioned within. Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.