Up to the 20 districts | Up to the map of the buildings and sites in Paris

Void of any attraction for tourists, the 17th district marks the transition between the rich 16th district and the working class 18th district.


                                 St Ouen
  ++ railroads                       __---
  ## park                          ./    |
                        Clichy   ./      |
                               ./       |
                       +     ./         |
                        +  ./           |
                        +./             |
                        /+              |
      Levallois-      ./ +              |
      Perret         /    +             |
                   ./     +            |
                  /        +           |
                ./         +           |  18th
               /            +          |
             ./             +          |
            /      __-------_+        |
Neuilly-  ./    .-'eire      +        |
sur-     /    ./Per           +       |
Seine  ./   _/Bd              +       |
      /   ./                   +       |
    ./   /                     +    ___Pl
   /   ./         Fortuny     __+_--  Clichy
  /   /                 ___---   +
Pt   /            ___####        Gare
Maillot     ___---   ####       St Laz
   --__    /                      
       --_/          8th
 16th  Pl.Et

Everything in italics is outside the district. The 17th district is the 7th most populated district in Paris with 160,860 inhabitants in 1990. It's the 8th largest district (5.67 km2).

The western part of the district is a quiet residential area in the style of the 16th district. Palais des Congrès, at Porte Maillot, is an important hall for shows of any kind, from musicals to Microsoft shows.

Boulevard Pereire is a long promenade above a RER (metro) line, from Porte Maillot to the Gare Saint-Lazare railroads. Walking along the boulevard is pleasant because it's a quiet area, but it will also teach you about Parisian architecture, because the buildings belong to all the Parisian styles from the middle of the 19th century to the 1930s. When the boulevard crosses the line 3 of the metro, at Place du Maréchal-Juin, turn left to Avenue Gourgaud, then right to rue Eugène-Flachat: in this small street you will see several strange examples of 19-century neo-gothic mansions.

Architecture lovers will also go to rue Fortuny, near Parc de Monceau. The houses in this street were built during the second half of the 19th century in a very eclectic style. Sarah Bernardt, Edmond Rostand, Marcel Pagnol and others lived here.

The eastern part of the district, east of the Gare Saint-Lazare railroads, is a more popular district. The eastern frontier, not far from the 18th-district Montmartre and Pigalle, has an important night life: many actors, for example, come to have dinner at Place Clichy late at night after their performance in the theater.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.