Term meaning "all lands," coined by Alfred Wegener, the inventor of the continental drift theory (antecedant to plate tectonics). All of the continents were formed by the breakup, before which there was also one giant sea, Panthalassa. Pangaea started to break up about 200 million years ago, and is still (very slowly) breaking apart today. The fracture is commonly called the Atlantic Ocean.

Now thought to be made from the fragments of an even older supercontinent, Rodinia.

Pangaea was huge land mass or supercontinent that began to break apart 180 million years ago (see plate tectonics/continental drift). Pangaea means "all lands" in Greek.

There is much evidence proving that Pangea did exist:
  • The shape of the continents (including continental shelves). Their shapes gives evidence that they can be fit together like a jigsaw puzzle.
  • Evidence of continuous belts of mountain chains that are separated by oceans. An example is the Appalachian Mountains which are found in North America as well as the British Isle and Scandanavia (now separated by the Atlantic Ocean).
  • Biological evidence. Fossils and plant communities are found in similiar patterns. Since it is highly unlikely that organisms traveled such far distances to be found in such patterns, the only reasonable explanation is that the land was once connected.
A Miles Davis double live album, from his rock'n'roll period.
The matinee show of a double in Osaka. The evening show is Agharta.

Miles Davis - trumpet
Sonny Fortune - soprano saxophone, alto saxophone, flute
Michael Henderson - bass
Pete Cosey - guitar, synth, percussion
Reggie Lucas - guitar
Al Foster - drums
Mtume - congas, percussion, water drum, rhythm box

1974

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.