Pall (?), n.

Same as Pawl.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pall, n. [OE. pal, AS. pael, from L. pallium cover, cloak, mantle, pall; cf. L. palla robe, mantle.]

1.

An outer garment; a cloak mantle.

His lion's skin changed to a pall of gold. Spenser.

2.

A kind of rich stuff used for garments in the Middle Ages.

[Obs.]

Wyclif (Esther viii. 15).

3. R. C. Ch.

Same as Pallium.

About this time Pope Gregory sent two archbishop's palls into England, -- the one for London, the other for York. Fuller.

4. Her.

A figure resembling the Roman Catholic pallium, or pall, and having the form of the letter Y.

5.

A large cloth, esp., a heavy black cloth, thrown over a coffin at a funeral; sometimes, also, over a tomb.

Warriors carry the warrior's pall. Tennyson.

6. Eccl.

A piece of cardboard, covered with linen and embroidered on one side; -- used to put over the chalice.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pall, v. t.

To cloak.

[R.]

Shak

 

© Webster 1913.


Pall, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Palled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Palling.] [Either shortened fr. appall, or fr. F. palir to grow pale. Cf. Appall, Pale, a.]

To become vapid, tasteless, dull, or insipid; to lose strength, life, spirit, or taste; as, the liquor palls.

Beauty soon grows familiar to the lover, Fades in the eye, and palls upon the sense. Addisin.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pall, v. t.

1.

To make vapid or insipid; to make lifeless or spiritless; to dull; to weaken.

Chaucer.

Reason and reflection . . . pall all his enjoyments. Atterbury.

2.

To satiate; to cloy; as, to pall the appetite.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pall, n.

Nausea.

[Obs.]

Shaftesbury.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.