Heraldic officials lower-ranking than a Herald. There are currently three English and six Scottish pursuivants.

In the College of Arms, the governing body of heraldry in England, there are Rouge Croix Pursuivant and Rouge Dragon Pursuivant. There is also someone called Fitzalan Pursuivant Extraordinary... as if the first two weren't quite extraordinary enough.

Other possible English pursuivants, offices not currently in use, are Bluemantle and Portcullis.

Scottish heraldry is governed by Lord Lyon King of Arms, and under his direction are Kintyre, Unicorn, and Carrick Pursuivant. There are also three earldoms that have their own private pursuivant (don't ask me what they do with them): Slains Pursuivant attends the Earl of Erroll, Garioch attends the Countess of Mar (the oldest of all Scottish titles), and Endure attends the Earl of Crawford.

The Scottish office of Linlithgow Pursuivant Extraordinary is not currently in use.

Pur"sui*vant (?), n. [F. poursuivant, fr. poursuivre. See Pursue, and cf. Pursuant.] [Written also poursuivant.]

1. Heralds' College

A functionary of lower rank than a herald, but discharging similar duties; -- called also pursuivant at arms; an attendant of the heralds. Also used figuratively.

The herald Hope, forerunning Fear, And Fear, the pursuivant of Hope. Longfellow.

2.

The king's messenger; a state messenger.

One pursuivant who attempted to execute a warrant there was murdered. Macaulay.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pur"sui*vant, v. t.

To pursue.

[Obs. & R.]

Their navy was pursuivanted after with a horrible tempest. Fuller.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.