(highball glass)

1 oz. whiskey
1/2 oz. ginger ale
1/2 oz. soda

on ice, no garnish.

As a young sprout it seemed to me that what distinguished us as Presbyterians from the other Protestant churches was that after church we went to the basement and ate lunch. Which seemed like a good thing to me. Catholics of course went to a separate school and were therefore different in some obscure way.

Later I discovered the strict Calvinist variety wherein you are predestined for Heaven or Hell at birth. Which sounds like a good excuse ... but somehow it doesn't work out like that.

A form of church governance in which the leadership is composed of elected laypersons or elders. The term Presbyterian comes from the Greek word for elder. Elders are considered both elected and ordained, ordination meaning that they are set apart for service. Elders are still considered ordained even after they complete their elected term.

The group of elders that are elected by a specific congregation to govern that congregation is called the session. Groups of churches are governed by presbyteries, groups of presbyteries form synods and the General Assembly represents the whole denomination. Elders who serve on these bodies are also know as prebyters.

Information from the Presbyterian Church (USA) website. May differ slightly in other Presbyterian churches like the Presbyterian Church in America.

Pres`by*te"ri*an (?), a. [Cf. F. presbyt'erien.]

Of or pertaining to a presbyter, or to ecclesiastical government by presbyters; relating to those who uphold church government by presbyters; also, to the doctrine, discipline, and worship of a communion so governed.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pres`by*te"ri*an, n. [Cf. F. presbyt'erien.]

One who maintains the validity of ordination and government by presbyters; a member of the Presbyterian church.

Reformed Presbyterians. See Cameronian.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.