In 1984 Anne Wood, who had already been the Head of Children's television at TV-AM started her own production company, Ragdoll Productions. Later to be responsible for "Rosie and Jim" and the "Teletubbies" the first character she created was Pob, a baby goblin who wore a long red and yellow striped woolly jumper. Pob lived inside the television, in reality a small set in the corner of a conference room. He started every episode of his show, "Pob's Programme" by breathing heavily onto the television screen from the inside until it was misted up. He then drew his name on the screen with his finger, much like a child would do in a car on a cold day. This was actually done successfuly after experimentation using a spray polish for both sides of the glass screen.

The show would then progress to one of its many sections. These were: In addition to these sections, Pob himself who would leave messages in his secret garden, which was actually the television studio's garden, for his special guests on labels attached to things with red and yellow string. The special guests were numerous and included Roy Castle, Nigel Kennedy, Su Pollard, Bill Pertwee, Kathy Staff, Toyah Willcox, and Spike Milligan. Pob also had a friend called Teddy who belonged to Bob Berk, a designer on the show.

Pob was actually a rod puppet designed by John Blundell. He was made from wood with solid hands which were unable to grip. To combat this in the show, props had to be pinned onto his hands. His face also had to be repainted every day. Pob didn't talk as an adult, and was frequently criticized for his lack of correct speech as "Bill and Ben" were before him, and "Teletubbies" were after.

Pob was also in the links between the children's television programmes on Channel 4. He frequently dressed up to mimic a character in a show he was linking to in his own unique style. Many of the links were improvised, and around 30 to 40 were shot in a day.

"Pob's Programme" was first transmitted in 1985 on Channel 4. There were fifty-two 25 minute programmes in all, shown on Sunday mornings, made over three years.

In the two years after "Pob's Programme", two series of "Pob's Playtime" were made. These programmes took the format of a guest telling a story using wooden toy props in a make believe town. The town was made in a sand pit and Pob would interact with the guest and the wooden "Pobbly" people by digging his way through the sand pit.

Sources:
http://www.crash.to/pob
http://www.jediman.free-online.co.uk/childrenstv/Pob/Pob.htm
http://www.ragdoll.co.uk/annewood_pob01.html
http://www.ragdoll.co.uk/annewood_pob02.html

"Passenger on board" or "package on board" - the standard call in by a cab driver or despatch rider to their controller to let them know that they have made a pick-up and to confirm the destination. For a despatch rider or delivery van driver this enables the controller to route them via other pickups en route. The canonical form in UK use is "<callsign>, POB <location> for <destination>", e.g. "five two, POB SE1 for EC2".

The variant GOB (goods on board) is also known. You're less likely to hear this stuff these due to the rise of GPS-based computerised despatching systems, but I feel the old craft skills should be preserved.

POB Magazine is a trade magazine for the geomatics and surveying industry. Subscription is free of charge to industry members within the United States (potential subscribers to POB are asked to fill out a survey concerning their experience in the surveying industry).

The content consists of short articles on surveying jobs that include some element of uniqueness, either location (great for photographs) or technology (great for advertisers); equipment reviews written by manufacturers and users; columns on surveying and the law; and capsule biographies of major surveying companies. All of which might seem pretty boring, except that surveying is a precursor to a variety of activities, not only mapmaking, but construction, prospecting, archeology and paleontology, forestry and ecological engineering, and geologic studies. The magazine has a strong emphasis on the use of satellite positioning systems, and has carried articles about GPS, the Russin GLOSTAR and the European Galileo constellations.

Information, including archives and subscription info is available at www.pobonline.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.