General Info


The term PMS covers a range of physical and emotional symptoms experienced by women during part of their menstrual cycle, two to fourteen days before a period starts. This is perfectly normal and there are even some women who notice nothing at all. However, the majority of women experience generally negative side effects, including:

  • Excessive sadness
  • Tenderness of the breasts
  • Rapid changes in emotion
  • Headaches
  • Irritability (no way!)
  • Fatigue
  • Anxiety
  • Bloating

These symptoms can be significant, especially in the area of emotional and personality changes that occur. A woman may become short-tempered, even going so far as to strike out verbally and physically at others.

Symptoms are also inconsistent. Many women find that with every cycle, they experience a different set of symptoms, or that the intensity of the symptoms varies from cycle to cycle.


Relief from Symptoms

Due to the wide variety of symptoms, remedies and treatments for PMS vary greatly. At this point, PMS is not a recognized disease with a proven treatment, however, many women do find relief from various sources. Typical treatments usually involve consultation with a doctor about diet, work, and daily tasks. These aspects of a woman's life greatly influence her relative hormone levels. Many women have found success through HRT, (Hormone Replacement Therapy).


A final word for us guys:

PMS sucks. Okay, so your girlfriend's a bitch for a few days a month, take another look at that symptoms list-- if you were suffering through some of those, you'd be pretty bitchy too. Let's be understanding and disregard any ill will we get from them during this time.


I say we all cut our gals some slack... them women have to go through some harsh stuff.

Another symptom of PMS that is often mistaken for the actual period is:

This is incredibly painful and, one description I've heard is that it feels like lightning striking, a thousand knives being plunged into, and a sledgehammer crushing the pelvic area all at once. The intensity of the pain varies from female to female. Several explanations have been given for cramping, including poor circulation in the pelvis and the muscles of the uterus contracting to aid the flow of the blood, but obviously no one knows for sure.

It hurts like hell, though.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.