A magazine that has been around about as long as PCs have, this is "the independent guide to personal computing", published by Ziff-Davis. Usually contains a lot of news, reviews, useful tips, and advertisements. In the past, it has been criticized for not giving OS/2 and Linux enough coverage, while being perhaps too enthusiastic about Microsoft products.

PC Magazine has lately made a shift from computing to business computing with a focus on IT Departments. Compared to five years ago, PC Magazine has become more increasingly filled with content more targeted to business and less to raw computing. These days, most PC Magazine issues would contain reviews for projectors, enterprise software, and those ridiculous mobile gadgets that the stereotypical suit walks around with.*

A sign that PC Magazine is becoming more oriented to soulless suits is that one of the largest sections in the magazine is "Internet Business," and User to User, the column that epitomized the small-time hobbyist days of lore, is almost dead.

Personally, the only reason I read PCMag anymore is to read Bill Machrone and John C. Dvorak's columns. Say what you want.

* Not the cool ones.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.