Not a cheesecake in the usual sense, but definitely in the same family. This confection hails from the land of Sweden (and it's also known as "Swedish Cheesecake"). Because February second (the Pagan holiday of Imbolc) is partially in celebration of the onset of some animals' lactation, many of the festive foods of the season include milk products. That is the aim here--this unusual mix between breakfast food and dessert contains both cottage cheese and heavy cream.

Though I will note my source's baking times, I must also say that this particular recipe took me almost twice as long as the recommended times to finish baking. In order to avoid burning the edges, I had to cut them off and remove them, then return the center of the cake to the oven. You will know if you need to do something similar if you try to cut the cake and the pieces refuse to stay together when lifted out with a spatula. Proquar has also made this dish and suggests cooking it at 400º for 30 minutes and then turning it down to 300º for another hour. They say this cake is best when eaten hot, but it is preferred by some eaten cold also.

Ingredients:

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400º F. Beat together all the ingredients until well-blended. Turn into greased 8 x 8 glass pan. Bake for one hour. Reduce heat to 300º F and bake for 25 more minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 30 minutes.

Yield: 1 8 x 8 cake
Source: Paraphrased from Marina T. Stern, The Fairy Party Book
Use for: Imbolc

Pagan recipes

(Thank you to Proquar for additional feedback on baking times!)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.