A person who has donated, or given permission for their organs to be donated to somebody else for the purpose of an organ transplant. Usually this is done after death, but sometimes people donate non-essential organs such as kidneys while they are still alive.

Also a funky song by DJ Shadow based around a sample from a church organ. Original mix on Endtroducing, extended mix on follow up album Preemptive Strike.

Just a couple of tips/suggestions/ answers to any questions or concerns one might have in becoming an organ donor…

Just who can become an organ donor?

Any person can indicate their intent to donate. For any of you folks under the age of 18, you gotta have your parent’s or guardians consent. The medical suitability of your organs or tissues is determined at the time of your demise.

Does it matter how old I am?

Nah, you can be as old as Methuselah or still be an infant. The deciding factor on whether you can donate is your physical condition, not your age. See above for age requirements.

How do I let people know that I want to donate my organs?

Here in the states, you can indicate your intention to become an organ donor on your driver’s license or state I.D card. Indicate your intent to be an organ and tissue donor on your driver’s license. Failing that, you can carry around something called an organ donor card.

This part is pretty important: Discuss your decision with family members and loved ones!!! Here’s why...

If I sign a donor card or indicate my donation preferences on my driver’s license, will my wishes be carried out?

Even if you sign a donor card and it's indicated on your license, it is essential that your family/loved ones know of your wishes since they might be required to sign a consent form in order for your organs to be donated.

What exactly can be donated?

Well, in the organ family you got your heart, kidneys, pancreas, lungs, liver and intestines.

In your tissue family you’ve got the cornea, skin, bone marrow, heart valves and your connective tissues.

Okay, so now I’m an organ donor, will it affect the quality of any medical care I receive?

I sure as hell hope not! By law, every effort will be made to save your life before donation is considered. I’m not sure what happens to people that have designated a “do not resuscitate” clause in matters such as a living will

I like the way I look, will organ donation disfigure me in any way and can I have an open casket at my funeral?

What are you worried about that for, you're dead. No, in actuality, the process of organ donation does not disfigure your precious good looks and does not interfere with open casket funerals.

I’m a minority, should I have any special concerns?

Glad you asked. The answer is yes. It seems some diseases of the kidney, heart, lung, pancreas and liver are found more frequently in minority populations than in the general population.

For example, African Americans, Asian and Pacific Islanders and Hispanics are three times more likely to suffer from end-stage renal disease than Whites.

Native Americans are four times more likely than Whites to suffer from diabetes.

Since some of these diseases are best treated through transplantation, successful matching or donor/recipient is crucial to the success of the operation Ergo, a shortage of organs donated by minorities might result in longer waiting periods and/or death. and longer waiting periods for transplants for minorities.

So far, it sounds pretty good, is there any cost to me or my family?

Absolutely not. You (of course not, you're dead) or your family will not pay any costs for the removal or your organs. The tab is picked up by the recipient through either insurance, Medicare or Medicaid.

This being America and in the spirit of capitalism, can I sell my organs?

Nice try. The National Organ Transplant Act makes it illegal to sell human organs and tissues. Anybody caught violating the Act is subject to fines and imprisonment. This act was passed in order to limit the black market for organs in which the wealthy would have an unfair advantage.

Alright already, how will my organs be doled out?

Patients are matched to organs based on a number of factors including blood and tissue typing, medical urgency, time on the waiting list, geographical location and so on and so on. Don’t worry about it – remember, you're dead.

You know what, I’m feeling extremely generous today, can I be an organ and tissue donor and also donate my body to medical science?

Sorry, while total body donation is an option, you can’t do it if choose to be an organ and tissue donor.

If you do choose to donate your entire body, you should contact the facility of your choice to make any arrangements. Usually medical schools, research facilities and other similar agencies will be happy to carve you up and study you all in the name of medical science.

From a personal point of view and all kidding aside, they can take whatever is left and do with it what they please if it goes to either help somebody who has an immediate need or it leads to further knowledge for future needs. I’m off my soapbox now. .

Religious Views Concerning Organ and Tissue Donation

Organ and tissue donation often raises many issues both medical and ethical. It is common for people to turn to their practicing religion to decided weather or not to become an organ and tissue donor.

Studies have shown that most major religious groups support organ and tissue donation and transplantation so long as it do not endanger the health or hasten the death of the donor. It is said that less than 10 percent of people when faced with the decision of organ and tissue donation know off hand how their practicing religion feels about the issue.

Often religions can be grouped into two categories that have similar beliefs on the subject of organ and tissue donation. These categories are “connectional” and “free church”. Connectional religions are generally the ones that have issued a formal statement on their position while the free church religions generally hold the belief that the decision is completely up to the individual and that no one group can make such a decision for a large number of people.

Often members of religious groups that have not made a formal statement prohibiting the donation and transplantation of organs and tissue assume that the procedure is permissible. Donation is often seen as a charitable act and therefore there is no need for a formal position on the subject.

In recent years it has become more common for major religions to take a proactive approach on the subject. Some such groups that have recently begun to actively encourage donation are the National Episcopal, Lutheran, and Presbyterian churches. This viewpoint is becoming more and more popular and only a few groups are activity against organ and tissue donation.

Most religions encourage the people whom hold high positions in the group to research the medical and ethical aspects of donation. These people once educated on the matter can help direct others toward a decision. It is also important for these people to keep up to date on their particular groups views as a whole. These are the people whom families who are unsure about what decision to make turn to. If they are not well informed the person seeking their guidance can be left feeling guilty regardless of the decision made.

Many religious groups have issued a formal statement. They are as follows:

This list has been provided in part by the American Council on Transplantation

Ame & Ame Zion (African Methodist Episcopal)

Organ and tissue donation is viewed as an act of neighborly love and charity by these denominations. They encourage all members to support donation as a way of helping others.

Amish

The Amish will consent to transplantation if they believe it is for the well being of the transplant recipient. John Hostetler, world-renowned authority on Amish religion and professor of anthropology at Temple University in Philadelphia, says in his book, Amish Society, "The Amish believe that since God created the human body, it is God who heals. However, nothing in the Amish understanding of the Bible forbids them from using modern medical services, including surgery, hospitalization, dental work, anesthesia, blood transfusions or immunization."

Assembly of God

The Church has no official policy regarding organ and tissue donation. The decision to donate is left up to the individual. Donation is highly supported by the denomination.

Baptist

Though Baptists generally believe that organ and tissue donation and transplantation are ultimately matters of personal conscience, the nation's largest protestant denomination, the Southern Baptist Convention, adopted a resolution in 1988, which reads in part:

“Whereas, complete resurrection of the body does not depend on bodily wholeness at death and

Whereas, the values of a godless society promote self sufficiency to such a degree that people are indifferent to the needs of others,as seen in resistance to organ donation and

Whereas, organ donation for research or transplantation is a matter of personal conscience . . .

Be it further resolved, that we encourage voluntarism regarding organ donation in the spirit of stewardship, compassion for the needs of others, and alleviating suffering and

Be it further resolved, that we recognize the validity of living wills and organ donor cards, along with the right of the next of kin to make decisions regarding organ donation and

Be it finally resolved, that nothing in the resolution be construed to condone euthanasia, infanticide, a portion, or harvesting of fetal tissue for the procurement of organs.”

Other Baptist groups have supported organ and tissue donation as an act of charity and leave the decision to donate up to the individual.

Brethren

While no official position has been taken by the Brethren denominations, according to Pastor Mike Smith, there is a consensus among the National Fellowship of Grace Brethren that organ and tissue donation is a charitable act so long as it does not impede the life or hasten the death of the donor or does not come from an unborn child.

Buddhism

Buddhists believe that organ and tissue donation is a matter of individual conscience and place high value on acts of compassion. Reverend Gyomay Masao, president and founder of the Buddhist Temple of Chicago says, "We honor those people who donate their bodies and organs to the advancement of medical science and to saving lives." The importance of letting loved ones know your wishes is stressed.

Catholocism

Catholics view organ and tissue donation as an act of charity and love. Transplants are morally and ethically acceptable to the Vatican. According to Father Leroy Wickowski, Director of the Office of Health Affairs of the Archdiocese of Chicago, "We encourage donation as an act of charity. It is something good that can result from tragedy and a way for families to find comfort by helping others." Pope John Paul II has stated, "The Catholic church would promote the fact that there is a need for organ donors and that Christians should accept this as a 'challenge to their generosity and fraternal love' so long as ethical principles are followed".

Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

The Christian church encourages organ and tissue donation, stating that we were created for God's glory and for sharing God's love. A 1985 resolution, adopted by the General Assembly, encourages "...members of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) to enroll as organ donors and prayerfully support those who have received an organ transplant.

Christian Science

The Church of Christ Scientist does not have a specific position regarding organ donation. According to the First Church of Christ Scientist in Boston, Christian Scientists normally rely on spiritual instead of medical means of healing. They are free, however, to choose whatever form of medical treatment they desire - including a transplant. The question of organ and tissue donation is an individual decision.

Episcopal

The Episcopal Church passed a resolution in 1982 that recognizes the life-giving benefits of organ, blood and tissue donation. All Christians are encouraged to become organ, blood and tissue donors "...as part of their ministry to others in the name of Christ, who gave His life that we may have life in its fullness."

Greek Orthodox

According to Reverend Dr. Milton Efthimiou, Director of the Department of Church and Society for the Greek Orthodox Church of North and South America, "The Greek Orthodox Church is not opposed to organ donation as long as the organs and tissue in questions are used to better human life, i.e., for transplantation or for research that will lead to improvements in the treatment and prevention of disease."

Gypsies

Though included in this list it is important to keep in mind that gypsies are considered a cultural, not religious group.

Gypsies are a people of different ethnic groups without a formalized religion. They share common folk beliefs and tend to be opposed to organ donation. Their opposition is connected with their beliefs about the afterlife. Traditional belief contends that for one year after death the soul retraces its steps. Thus, the body must remain intact because the soul maintains its physical shape.

Hinduism

According to the Hindu Temple Society of North America, Hindus are not prohibited by religious law from donating their organs. This act is an individual’s decision. H.L. Trivedi, in Transplantation Proceedings, stated that, "Hindu mythology has stories in which the parts of the human body are used for the benefit of other humans and society. There is nothing in the Hindu religion indicating that parts of humans, dead or alive, cannot be used to alleviate the suffering of other humans."

Independant Conservative Evangelical

Generally, Evangelicals have no opposition to organ and tissue donation. Each church is autonomous and leaves the decision to donate up to the individual.

Islam

The religion of Islam believes in the principle of saving human lives. According to A. Sachedina in his "Transplantation Proceedings'1990" article, Islamic Views on Organ Transplantation, "...the majority of the Muslim scholars belonging to various schools of Islamic law have invoked the principle of priority of saving human life and have permitted the organ transplant as a necessity to procure that noble end."

Jehovah's Witnesses

According to the Watch Tower Society, Jehovah's Witnesses believe donation is a matter of individual decision. Jehovah's Witnesses are often assumed to be opposed to donation because of their belief against blood transfusion. However, this merely means that all blood must be removed from the organs and tissues before being transplanted.

Judaism

All four branches of Judaism (Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, and Reconstructionist) support and encourage donation. According to Orthodox Rabbi Moses Tendler, Chairman of the Biology Department of Yeshiva University in New York City and Chairman of the Bioethics Commission of the Rabbinical Council of America, "If one is in the position to donate an organ to save another's life, it's obligatory to do so, even if the donor never knows who the beneficiary will be. The basic principle of Jewish ethics - 'the infinite worth of the human being' - also includes donation of corneas, since eyesight restoration is considered a life-saving operation." In 1991, the Rabbinical Council of America (Orthodox) approved organ donations as permissible, and even required, from brain-dead patients. The Reform movement looks upon the transplant program favorably and Rabbi Richard Address, Director of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations Bio-Ethics Committee and Committee on Older Adults, states the "Judaic Responsa materials provide a positive approach and by and large the North American Reform Jewish community approves of transplantation."

Lutheran

In 1984, the Lutheran Church in America passed a resolution stating that donation contributes to the well-being of humanity and can be "...an expression of sacrificial love for a neighbor in need." They call on members to consider donating organs and to make any necessary family and legal arrangements, including the use of a signed donor card.

Mennonite

Mennonites have no formal position on donation, but are not opposed to it. They believe the decision to donate is up to the individual and/or his or her family.

Morovian

The Moravian Church has made no statement addressing organ and tissue donation or transplantation. Robert E. Sawyer, President, Provincial Elders Conference, Moravian Church of America, Southern Province, states, "There is nothing in our doctrine or policy that would prevent a Moravian pastor from assisting a family in making a decision to donate or not to donate an organ." It is, therefore, a matter of individual choice.

Mormon (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believes that the decision to donate is an individual one made in conjunction with family, medical personnel, and prayer. They do not oppose donation.

Pentecoastal

Pentecostals believe that the decision to donate should be left up to the individual.

Presbyterian

Presbyterians encourage and support donation. They respect a person's right to make decisions regarding his or her own body.

Seventh-Day Adventist

Donation and transplantation are strongly encouraged by Seventh-Day Adventists. They have many transplant hospitals, including Loma Linda in California. Loma Linda specializes in pediatric heart transplantation.

Shinto

In Shinto, the dead body is considered to be impure and dangerous, and thus quite powerful. "In folk belief context, injuring a dead body is a serious crime...," according to E. Namihira in his article, Shinto Concept Concerning the Dead Human Body. "To this day it is difficult to obtain consent from bereaved families for organ donation or dissection for medical education or pathological anatomy...the Japanese regard them all in the sense of injuring a dead body." Families are often concerned that they not injure the itai, the relationship between the dead person and the bereaved people.

Society of Friends (Quakers)

Organ and tissue donation is believed to be an individual decision. The Society of Friends does not have an official position on donation.

Unitarian Universalist

Organ and tissues donation is widely supported by Unitarian Universalists. They view it as an act of love and selfless giving.

United Church of Christ

Reverend Jay Lintner, Director, Washington Office of the United Church of Christ Office for Church in Society, states, "United Church of Christ people, churches and agencies are extremely and overwhelmingly supportive of organ sharing. The General Synod has never spoken to this issue because, in general, the Synod speaks on more controversial issues, and there is not controversy about organ sharing, just as there is no controversy about blood donation in the denomination. While the General Synod has never spoken about blood donation, blood donation rooms have been set up at several General Synods. Similarly, any organized effort to get the General Synod delegates or individual churches to sign organ donation cards would meet with generally positive responses."

United Methodist

The United Methodist Church issued a policy statement regarding organ and tissue donation. In it, they state that, "The United Methodist Church recognizes the life-giving benefits of organ and tissue donation, and thereby encourages all Christians to become organ and tissue donors by signing and carrying cards or driver's licenses, attesting to their commitment of such organs upon their death, to those in need, as a part of their ministry to others in the name of Christ, who gave His life that we might have life in its fullness." A 1992 resolution states, "Donation is to be encouraged, assuming appropriate safeguards against hastening death and determination of death by reliable criteria." The resolution further states, "Pastoral-care persons should be willing to explore these options as a normal part of conversation with patients and their families."

Sources:
http://www.korrnet.org/eyebank/religious.html#first
http://www.urbanlegends.com/medical/organ_donors_religious_views.html
http://www.sos.state.il.us/programs/organdonor/religion.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.