My roommate and I were craving something cooked outside today after playing frisbee in the really nice Sunday weather, so we dropped by the grocery store and decided to grill up some pork chops. She loves honey mustard, but we were all out and figured it was too nice out to just buy the prefab stuff and call it good.

    Directions:
  1. Slice the onion in half. Dice one half finely, and slice the other half into largish pieces.
  2. Sweat the diced onions.
  3. Combine the diced onions, mustard, and honey.
    • Adjust this to your taste. My measurements are very approximate; I just spooned in what looked right, tasted it, added a bit more mustard, then tasted it again and immediately called my roommate over to get a second opinion on just how fantastically delicious it tasted.
  4. Coat the pork chops in about half of the glaze and leave sitting in your fridge for about an hour.
  5. Cook the pork chops. When you turn them over, spoon a little bit of the glaze on top, but make sure you leave a little bit for later.
  6. Just before serving, sweat the sliced onions a bit.
    • Optional step: Eat some more onions. Yep, onions are still really, really awesome.
  7. When you plate up the pork chops, put the sliced onions on top and spoon whatever's left of the glaze on top of that.

The exact varieties of honey and mustard are largely up to you, but under no circumstances should you use regular yellow mustard. A stronger, browner mustard works better with the sweetness of the honey. I used regular clover honey and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale & Honey Spice mustard (which is stronger than it sounds).

I served this with plain white rice and corn on the cob grilled in garlic and butter, plus a glass of Stumptown Tart wheat beer. It made for a very awesome late summer meal. Incidentally, when you make the glaze, you'll probably want to make more than you think you'll need; it was so good I caught myself eating an entire spoonful of the stuff before it even made it onto the pork chops, and found myself wishing I'd left enough to go over the rice.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.