"One More Time" is a 1960 country song by Ray Price, which reached #5 on the US Country Charts. It is a love ballad that lasts a little bit under three minutes, and is written in a conventional verse chorus verse structure, with typical country instrumentation, and with the focus being on Price's baritone singing.

"One More Time" is a popular phrase in popular music, and it has been used by George Benson and by Britney Spears. And here, as in those songs, it is used to convey the hope that an old lover will come back---with the knowledge that even if they do, it is probably futile. It is sweet and plaintive, but the lyrics are what we would expect here.

When I first started this listen of a box of old country 45s I bought for a quarter each, I tried to go in blind, seeing what my reaction would be to the songs without knowing the history of the performer. And I kept my promise halfway for this one: I listened to this and decided this was, from my naive viewpoint, about in the bullseye of what country music was. Ray Price wasn't creating a persona like Don Gibson was in "So How Come" or Merle Haggard was in "The Fugitive". He wasn't an instrumental virtuoso like Chet Atkins in "Country Gentleman" or "Blue Echo", and he wasn't a syrupy crooner like Jerry Wallace in "There She Goes". He was a rich baritone singing a love song that was a bit corny but not sappy, over music that I felt was a good accompaniment. Without knowing the year it was made, or the history of the singer, I kind of picked this song out to be calibration of country music.

And after doing some research, I would say that I was probably right. Ray Price was a solid country singer that charted dozens of Top 40 country singles between the 1950s and the 1980s, and was a very traditional country star. He didn't quite have the pop culture crossover appeal of a Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson, but he was a powerful performer in his own right. This song, released in 1960, probably is about at the center of what country music was at the time---which is not to say that it is mediocre.

Which also explains my own feelings to this. As someone who was born and raised with rock n roll, this lacks the edge that I usually like, lyrically and musically. It is a bit too traditional and sweet to be "my thing"---but I can listen to it and appreciate it. It carries a certain atmosphere with it that brings to me a sentimental mood, even if it is to a place I have never been. Perhaps one of the gifts of this blind (deaf?) listening is I have learned to appreciate things that are not exactly "my thing".

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.