While about ninety per cent. of all boys—nine out of every ten—masturbate more or less, only about ten or at most twenty per cent. of girls are addicted to this habit. But whatever the percentage may be, the habit is an injurious one, and if you value your health, your beauty and proper growth and mental development, you should not indulge in it.

— Dr. William J. Robinson, 1917


The habit of masturbation (or self-abuse) is, of the many sexual temptations that plague otherwise healthy young ladies, particularly insidious, placing at risk both a woman's physical and emotional well-being. The dangers are clear: masturbation has a ruinous effect on the female body, damaging the complexion, and increasing the risk of anemia. Furthermore, masturbation has been proven, by both physicians and sexologists, to be a contributing factor in female frigidity, decreasing a woman's interest in normal, healthy sex. Some female masturbators have found themselves robbed entirely of their ability to experience pleasurable sensation through sexual intercourse, while others have developed an outright aversion to the act of sex. The compounded consequences of these unhealthy, sexual dispositions should be quite obvious—heaven forbid, a woman becomes a chronic masturbator, or worse yet, a tribade!

Fortunately for parents, ever mindful of their children's positive development, there are a number of methods by which they can curb, or even prevent, the masturbation habit in their young girls. Foremost, parents must remain vigilant over their children; no effort should be spared in insuring that their young girls are never left unsupervised. Due suspicion should be exercised when dealing with abnormally close or intimate friendships. Multiple girls should never be arranged to share the same bedroom, without an older figure to provide supervision. Under absolutely no circumstance should a young girl share a bed with another, whether they be child, an adult, or even one of the girl's parents—intentional or not, such sleeping arrangements quite often lead to early masturbatory habits. Instead, girls should be made to sleep alone, on a relatively hard mattress with a light sheet or blanket. Children should be encouraged to always keep their arms outside the covers as they sleep. Parents must also be wary that their children do not laze about in bed after waking. When girls grow older, it should be impressed upon them the harmfulness inherent in manipulating their genitals; instruction should likewise be given not to associate with anyone who suggests or encourages such behaviour, nor with anyone who attempts to initiate lascivious conversation. Care should be taken as well, in the event of certain maladies such as Eczema or Vulvovaginitis, that girls do not discover masturbation as a consequence of their physical discomfort or agitation.

It is also necessary to warn of the dangers of, so-called, mental or psychic masturbation which some females have been known to practice. Though abstaining from any physical contact, the mental masturbator can still derive sexual satisfaction, strictly through her own concentration upon sexually stimulating thoughts and fantasies. Yet, despite its mental confinement, this behaviour is nevertheless harmful (perhaps more so than manual masturbation) and should be very strongly discouraged. Women who masturbate in this fashion put themselves at risk of both nervous breakdowns and Neurasthenia.

All of that having been said, a final word of caution must be made to the parents and guardians of our young women: 

In my opinion, stigmatizing even the most moderate indulgence in masturbation as a vice has a deleterious effect upon the people who so indulge and makes it harder for them to break off the habit. Every thinking physician and sexologist can tell you that picturing the masturbatory habit in too lurid colors and stigmatizing it with too strong epithets has, as a rule, the contrary effect to the one expected. The victims of the habit consider themselves degraded, irretrievably lost. They lose their self-respect, and it is, on account of that, harder for them to break themselves of the habit (1).

In light of modern science, it is unreasonable, even unconscionable, to pass moral judgement on those addicted to the habit of masturbation. Demonizing young masturbators succeeds only to reinforce their private shame and suffering. There is simply no recourse for those who falsely believe it beneficial to assault a young woman's self-esteem in this manner. Without question, scores upon scores of people have suffered from, and overcome, their habit of masturbation, most being none the worse for it. We need but simply appeal to the truth: that by education and sincere support, we can help our young ladies through their affliction.


Source

  1. Woman: Her Sex and Love Life by William J. Robinson (1917)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.