Just so we're clear, OLE stands for Object Linking and Embedding.

OLE is Microsoft's compound document protocol for Windows. It allows information produced by one application to be embedded in another application's document. The "client" application creates the document; the "server" application creates an object within the document. When a user accesses an embedded object in a client application, the server application is loaded and the appropriate data file is retrieved. Typical business reports may contain information in a variety of formats, including text and numbers, charts, tables, images, graphics, sound, video, blah blah. This information is created in separate application programs (e.g., spreadsheet, word processing, charting, database) and is merged into a single document (i.e., the report). OLE keeps track of those links and updates the various components as they change.

One of the most confusing things about Microsoft's OLE (and COM, which is based on it), is that they reverse the values of true and false.

It took me about a week to find this problem with some code I was writing. There was a function in a DLL I was writing that was to be called by the Windows Explorer to determine if the module could be safely unloaded. The function was called DllCanUnloadNow. So, the function returns false until it is done doing what it needs to do, at which point it lets the shell unload it by returning true. Except that the module kept on getting unloaded over and over again when it wasn't supposed to. This is because my function was returning TRUE and FALSE, the standard Windows boolean values, defined to 1 and 0, respectively. Because this was a COM environment, I was supposed to be using S_OK and S_FALSE, defined to 0 and 1 respectively--the exact reverse of what you would expect. Clearly this is based on the convention that a zero return code indicates success... except that I'm not indicating success, I'm just answering a question. Naturally, this is not an error that cannot be picked up at compile time. Oh, Microsoft, what are you doing to me?

Out of all the Spanish of words, ole was inspired from Allah, When one hears Spaniards going into a state of climax yelling ole in flamingo dances or bull fights, they are actually saying praise to Allah! the actual meaning was lost over the centuries.

More and more scholars are agreeing to this claim now that Spain no longer considers the Muslim occupation of Spain as a taboo. Spain just recently opened a museum dedicated to Islamic history which was one of the biggest reasons that brought Europe out of the dark ages.

For more information you can do a search on google.com by typing "Allah ole Spain" in the search box. Last time I checked I got 200 hits.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.