Oggy and the Cockroaches/Oggy et les Cafards was a cartoon series that used to air in 1998. It wasn't too interesting, and involved the repetitive plot of one character trying to get rid of another character, which has been demonstrated in countless other shows. Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner, Sylvester and Tweety, Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd, Tom and Jerry, and other popular television series have done it much better. Oggy and the Cockroaches had sound effects and music, but no voice acting. In fact, the show was originally produced in France, so any dialogue would have been en français.

Oggy is a blue cat who lives alone. He seems to be unemployed, yet quite successful. His neighbour Jack is green, and occasionally tries to help Oggy deal with his cockroach infestation. Only three cockroaches hardly seem worthy to be called that, but these devil-vermin are crafty little bastards. All five of the characters are ugly as sin, probably because of the constant pummeling they give each other (which is by no means original). Oggy spends most of his tortured, miserable life getting blown up, sliced to pieces, lit on fire, and crushed by pianos, anvils, safes, cabinets, houses, trains, or whatever's handy.

After so many shows like this, Oggy doesn't do anything to stand out. It managed to spew out 52 episodes, and then disappeared. It also wasn't nearly as popular as Space Goofs, which were both created by animator Marc du Pontavice. I would reluctantly recommend this show to young children who aren't too picky about television, but they would be well-advised to watch Roadrunner instead - same kind of humor, but done well.

I did like the intro though. Catchy tune.


Sources:
- http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=11162
- my own regrettable memories

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.