America's largest and most artistically influential community of theatres in New York
city are collectively known as "Off Broadway." The phrase can refer to:
- The geographic area literally surrounding Broadway street and its theatre district,
- the size of the theatre is limited to 299 seats* (being smaller than the Broadway houses);
- the content (not being a traditional musical);
- a not-for-profit or noncommercial production.
The phrase does not means "amateur
" or "not ready for Broadway." Many actor
s, and designer
s work interchangeably on and off Broadway, and many are fully supported by the professional theatre unions.
* Or 499 seats, depending on which of the 17 unions you are working with.