pliable vessel; wax,
salt, seal. cayenne for
quickening. unfasten me

roses overbloomed on the mantle
I, a little altar; plutonian
and breathing fire for weeks. prayers
plucking at a lung; draw me out

draw me out

draw me out

liberate pulp from seed
and nothing at the periphery, the spark
or the flame? plant the wick in the finger,
or here, for the liver,
or here, for the bladder, or here,

and I, rabid on the linens,
ruptured and shucked
til she gives way and all is
supple, wet and steam
shivering in its own brine

Went onto base to get our military IDs renewed. I didn't know we were doing this today; I left my wallet, and my ID.

We had a set appointment time, so Dad told me I'll just have to say it's lost. That means a fine. gulp.

We drive to the block house, unload, and walk in. Uh-oh; DEERS and the other system is down. They can't replace our ID anyways.

On the drive back home, mom gets a call from a number of all 1s and labelled, "Spam Risk". Unlike most scammers, they leave a voicemail.

"Hello, is this $nuggets_moms_name? We're calling to let you know that DEERS is down today. If you want to cancel your appointment, you can, or if you'd like you can come in and wait a while. Give us a call back when you can, thanks."

Mom just laughed. It was 20 minutes before our appointment was supposed to start; any sensible person would already be well on their way. And wait for what? To see if the system comes back up?

And what were the people in that office even doing? About 99-100% of the work they do on any day is DEERS (and that other system that's down) related.

 

I just breathed a sigh of relief; I dodged a bullet.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.