Oatmeal Porridge is a meal sorely misunderstood, and woefully underestimated. For people living in a cold country, getting up in the morning is a bitch. Usually, it takes coffee, lots and lots of coffee. However, there is an easier way, a way that might even be healthy! The trick is Oatmeal Porridge. The recipie here is intended for microwave only, there are other ways to do this.

You need:
1/2 a cup of oatmeal
1 cup of milk
A wee bit of salt

Mix the ingredients together in a (nonmetalic) bowl, stir and heat on medium for two or thtree minutes. Stir again, and heat for an additional one to three minutes. The consistency of the porridge is directly propotional to the time spent in the oven: The longer it is heated, the thicker it gets. You can also experiment with different ratios of milk/oatmeal to produce variations in thickness. Remember that making Oatmeal Porridge is an art, even when cooked in a microwave.
After the final cook and stir, add sugar, jam, syrup or any other sweetener you might like, stir (again) and enjoy!

Milk can be replaced by water for the lactose intolerant (and those who might object to milk for other reasons), but in that case, I would recommend slightly less than a whole cup. This to make the porridge thicker. Still, it's all about personal preference...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.