Very cool, very danceable EBM outfit from Portland, Oregon. Similar in sound to Front 242, or maybe a little bit softer version of Apoptygma Berzerk or Covenant. Almost minimalist in their musical style.

Noxious Emotion began as a collabaration between Mike Wimer and Shane Benson in 1993. At that time they began playing live shows, and released "This Hallowed Ground" in 1995, as well as material for various compilations. It took 2 years of touring and studio work, but their next album, "Count Zero" was released, furthering the characteristic Noxious sound.

Soon after the release of "Count Zero", Noxious Emotion added Darren Miller, and Megan Mace of Nocturne. In 1998, Shane left the band, and their album "Symbols" was released. It was 2000 before their current album, "Elements" was released.

Noxious Emotion have toured with a plethora of industrial acts, such as KMFDM, Apoptygma Berzerk, VNV Nation, Fockewolf, Hate Dept, Luxt, and SMP. They are distributed by ADSR MusicWerks, of Seattle.

Noxious Emotion discography

Noxious puts on one hell of a live show. I say this after having just seen them as the opening act for Assemblage 23 -- though, in reality, they were more then just an opening act because they did a good 6 pieces, and Symbiont was first, anyhoo, but I digress..

Among the other antics done, there was a vicious 10 minute drum solo on a 55-gallon drum that was hucked into the crowd (knocking some poor girl over, but she seemed to enjoy it), and then a lighting on fire of the same drum (using paraffin) while Megan pounded on it in its still-flaming state and then did a little fire breathing act.

As for the music, they have a very interesting range from a Front 242 sort of style down to something that sounds like some the lighter stuff from Apoptygma Berzerk. But their most widely known stuff tends to hit in the "Hard, Sinister and Thumpy" range as to easily drive adrenalized Gen-Xers to their feet to dance to it.

And the people in the band themselves are just top notch, too. I only spent a few minutes chatting with them after the show, getting some things signed, and saying they're nice just doesn't cut it -- they don't seem to be pleasant just for the sake of it, but instead seem to have a genuine interest in their audience which is something that seems rare these days I hope they never lose it. When I produced an ancient demo tape of theirs to be signed, they were more then happy to do it and seemed to seriously enjoy the idea that someone had kept a cassette tape that was that old for as long as I had.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.