So in the aftermath of the Halloween storm, J(esus)C(hrist)P(refers)L(ight) finally sends two trucks and seven men to restore my power. I learn of this while in the QUIET ROOM at the library via text from son-who-is-not-sleeping-at-noon. I'm writing, all my stuff flopped about on a chair and the floor and a small round table next to me. I text back I'll be home soon. Barely five minutes later, I get a second text saying the work is done. FIVE DAYS WITHOUT POWER?? FIVE MINUTES TO FIX?? Call me fussy, but when I pull into the driveway and see the way the wires are sloppily looped to the house, I go calmly ballistic. It's a Zen thing, supposed to keep your blood pressure normal and add years to your life. An old friend stops over with his chain saw to help clean up the storm debris. I make him walk down the street first and show him several places where an unknown lineman took pride in his work, where the wires are looped in circles, with clips at the compass points. I've taken many photographs of his work, as seen against a blue sky, reflected in puddles, and as shadows cast in snow. The way the wires are looped actually relaxes me, as if I'm in a room full of Monet's large water lilies. My friend tells me I'm the only woman, THE ONLY PERSON he knows who would find beauty in electrical wires. I can tell by the look on his face he is actually thinking of all the people he has ever known, and that's a lot because he's one of those extroverts who needs external validation all the time. That's fine with me, I seem to attract extroverts; I'm just not made that way, although I have my moments. But we get the tree limbs sawed up, stacked for winter wood, and then talk about a thousand things while I run my machines, washing a week's worth of dishes and clothes. All in all, a good day.

Holy shit. Life just picked up and got turbocharged. Things are coming at me a million miles an hour.

Don't be havin' no time for jibber-jabber.

  • Geometry is cool.
  • This Iron Noder quest has provided the impetus needed to write a whole bunch of geometry related nodes.
  • Writing makes me happy.
  • Math makes me happy.
  • My math notebooks are filling up.
  • Excel spreadsheets and Matlab scripts are useful for seeing math formulas come alive.
  • Reading Madame Bovary.
  • Working with Phased array antennas and microstrip patch antennas with a professional colleague, and writing Link budgets for geostationary communications satellites makes me realize how damned lucky I am to have found a career in something so incredibly interesting.
  • Dropped weight to around 190 lb. That's a 25 year low. Feels great!
  • Eating is overrated.
  • Women confuse me.
  • I've been socializing with a group of intelligent and attractive single women. And I don't feel a thing for them. Kissing any one would be like kissing your sister.
  • I was married to a wonderful woman.
  • I've had relationships with wonderful, extraordinary women.
  • May be destined for a single life.
  • Still, it's nice to know that, for a brief time in life, I was able to get close enough to someone to get to know their extraordinary qualities, their fears, their charms, and their stories.
  • Lucky, lucky, lucky.
  • Music is a great complement to running.
  • Want to write How to Explain Techno to Friends Who Love Classical Music.
  • Have been running longer and faster than I have in past 13 years.
  • I turn 60 in four years.
  • Thinking of doing something for the senior olympics when I hit that milestone.
  • What a compliment it is to have a book pressed into your hands and have your friend say, "Read this book. You'll love it. This made me think of you."
  • Other nice things: "Come on, let's get a cup of coffee."
  • Other nice things: When she bums two cigarettes from a random stranger at a bar. One for her, one for you.
  • Other nice things: Getting an I Miss You message on FB.
  • Other nice things: Running a sub eight minute mile.
  • The average time for a photon to emerge from a Sol-class star is, well, I'm getting inconsistent answers on this, so I might have to do the math myself. Some of the sites say 50,000 years. Some say significantly less.
  • Reading Hans Bethe's lecture to the Nobel prize committee. On how stars burn.
  • Going through Leonard Susskind's Stanford lectures on "Revolutions in Particle Physics."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.