Today is Thanksgiving here in the U.S., and here are the things I am thankful for:

  1. Good friends.
  2. Modern dentistry.
  3. Kitties.
  4. Good movies.
  5. Good food.
  6. That my recent job loss is giving me time to complete a bunch of projects (novel, stories, and home repairs) that were hugely stressing me out.

At a recent dental checkup, I found out I cracked a molar (likely due to clenching my teeth during stress dreams, but it was a tooth with two different fillings in it and a crack was probably inevitable over time). On 11/10, I got a temporary crown put on. I was extremely nervous during the procedure and had a bit of a panic attack early on but I focused on keeping my head very still and everything worked out fine. I go back for the permanent crown next week. Hopefully I will be a lot calmer in the chair next time.

On 11/14, I went to my day job and soon after found out I was being ejected from the employment cannon. Canned. Let go. Released back into the wild. This was not a surprise; I'd been stressing about impending job loss for over a year. Some job losses catch you completely off guard but this one was like watching a dark rider trot inexorably toward you over the vast expanse of a salt flat. While I had natural reactions of dismay -- loss of income and health insurance are difficult -- but I also felt a giddy sense of relief that finally the waiting was over. I mildly regretted that I didn't drop the hammer myself and resigned a few weeks before, but I'd hoped to hang on through the holidays.

They didn't let me go back to my desk to even get my purse; my supervisor gathered my immediate belongings, and the HR lady packed up the rest of my stuff and I returned to their offices a couple of days later to retrieve it. Because I knew this was coming, I had taken home what I thought was most of my stuff already, but I had a surprising amount left. One accrues a bit of stuff at one's desk after nearly four years at a place. A sentence I said to the HR lady: "Did you get my monkeys?" (She did.)

I have health insurance coverage until the end of the month, and am eligible for bracingly expensive COBRA after that. Health insurance is a challenge for us, as it is for many. My husband has has a chronic pain condition (reflex sympathetic dystrophy) for over a decade, and he recently lost most of the use of his left arm due to a bone spur that is compressing nerves in his neck. He needs surgery, and in the meantime he has been severely depressed and in a lot of uncontrollable pain. This has been hell for him and difficult for me; the pain has largely taken my marriage away because my husband doesn't even have the energy for conversation most of the time. I am thankful for friends who have helped with the caregiving load.

The holidays are historically difficult for me at the best of times. I am doing my very best to stay positive and productive. The irony here is that I have had a lot of work to do since I became unemployed: I have an overdue novel and several short stories to write, writing coaching, and house repairs to attend to, etc. I don't lack for work; I lack for income. I'm hopeful that if I keep plugging away and keep working that I'll find a remedy for this, too.

But for today, I and some friends are gathering at another friend's house and we're gonna eat a lot of turkey and watch Mystery Science Theatre. And I'll be thankful for what I have.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it! 

H A P P Y T H A N K S G I V I N G !!


Having a good day today. Thanksgiving used to always be depressing for me because for many years it was a huge celebration as my inlaws celebrated Thanksgiving like others celebrate Christmas, and I missed being a part of that. It's been so many years now that I don't get depressed on Thanksgiving anymore. Happy about that.

Hope everyone has a great, great day!

This will be short as I am trying to get back into the routine of getting to bed early, but I really missed writing so now that I have the chance I'm going to be putting my thoughts down again. Thanksgiving went pretty well despite the family argument over who voted for which candidate. I have family members who voted for both candidates as well as those who wrote in others. Everyone has the right to vote as they see fit, I don't believe that others should attack people who voted differently than they do, but there are very strong feelings on a variety of issues and it's understandable that there will be hurt feelings and sensitivity. It was good to see my family again. I'm glad I went even though I felt like staying home today.

Things have been going well at work. It's not perfect, no job ever is, but I got a raise after my review which was secondary compared to what my peers and manager wrote about me. Those comments will become part of my permanant file, and I will always love my manager for going to people who know me well enough to speak highly of the work I am doing there. Yesterday I went shopping for some warmer clothes. Our counter is directly across from the doors, there's a loop that people can make as they enter and leave the store, drafty air chills us and I've been cold at work lately so I decided warmer clothes were in order. While I was shopping I saw that the store was hiring someone for their outdoor furniture sales. Tempting, but I really like the job that I have and doubt this would pay substantially more.

I tried the online dating thing and finally ended up deleting the Tinder app. I still love the guy who has admitted he's been hurt and has to focus on himself. After a week of not talking to him and going out with other guys I decided it wasn't fair to them and gave up on all of them except for the two platonic friends that I managed to keep. I went out with one, the other one and I realize that we have no chemistry, are not each other's types if that's a thing, and enjoy being supportive friends instead of striving for a romance that we know neither of us really want. I'm grateful for these additions to my circle of friends even though one of them is an alcoholic and I don't know how to feel about that. Glad I'm not in a relationship with anyone who has chemical dependency issues, would much rather be single than deal with that.

Will try to post more later, extremely tired tonight after a long day of food I don't normally eat and some tense situations after supper. Praying that this finds you well, I've missed writing and my friends here even though I don't contribute much anymore, I still think of this place fondly, like the couch I will never get rid of simply because it's comfortable and there for me in times of crisis and celebration.

Xoxo,

Jess  

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.