"I wonder which is preferable — to walk around all your life swollen up with your secrets until you burst from the pressure of them, or to have them sucked out of you, every paragraph, every sentence, every word for them, so at the end you’re depleted of all that was once as precious to you as hoarded gold, as close to you as your skin — everything that was of the deepest importance to you, everything that made you cringe and wish to conceal, everything that belonged to you alone — and must spend the rest of your days like an empty sack flapping in the wind, an empty sack branded with a bright fluorescent label so that everyone will know what sort of secrets used to be inside you?”

Margaret Atwood

Fuck principles. Who needs 'em? All principles do is give you a false sense of security. You think that as long as you have your principles you can't go wrong, but it's not as simple as that. Principles decay. You go about your life knowing you have them, but if you don't evaluate and reestablish them, they start to lose their hold on you. Soon you find yourself eating fast food because it's easier, watching Fox New just because it's on, not checking to see if the eggs you're buying are from cageless chickens, letting Jeph Jacques decide what kind of music you like, ordering an AMD CPU because it's cheaper than anything Intel has, or writing another daylog. I'm not saying those are all bad things, but it's obvious that my principles have failed me.

I can't let my principles keep me from doing things that at one point I thought were bad or wrong. I need to get rid of all of them. How will I not kick babies, you ask? Situations should be evaluated on a case by case basis. That shouldn't be a problem with the marvels of the Freudian Superego. But whatever, I'll see how that goes tomorrow. Right now, I need to go to bed before I realize that I have to write several papers by Tuesday.


I was talking with Intentions and he brought up some good points. I'd like to refine my idea.
Principles are different from values. Your values don't change, but your principles are pretty much up to you. The hazard is if you set your principles at a certain time based on your values and the information available to you then, and then you never change it. You could enter a situation and make the wrong decision because you stuck to your principles when there was new information that could have changed your decision if you had evaluated it right then and there.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.